Mondeo vs Vectra vs Primera

frash

Hi,

I'm in a position to get a 2004 petrol version of one of these cars at a wholesale price (all of them are the same price = €13,300) but am unsure which one is the better buy.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Let's say they're all 1.6 engines for the sake of arguement as I'm not sure yet of the exact engine size.

Cheers...

Modeo will half in value anyways, especially if it's a diesel - steer clear.
Vectra - very unreliable and constantly have niggling issues - eg. electrics, bushens, etc
Primera - probably the best of the three - solid and reliable.

I've had a vectra and mondeo - would never go back. Brother has a primera - very good car.

I'm in a position to get a 2004 petrol version of one of these cars at a wholesale price (all of them are the same price = €13,300)

Book value on 04 Mondeo 1.8i is €15900, 04 Vectra 1.6 €16500 and 04 Primera 1.6 is €16050. So they all LOOK good value for money but, for €13800 you could get a 2003 Avensis - more safety features and better trade-in later.

Thanks for the replies.

ACA - is there somewhere online that you can look up the book value of cars?

Cheers...

is there somewhere online that you can look up the book value of cars?
not that I'm aware of - but in a lot of respects I'm still an internet virgin!!
I receive one, once a month from the company I work for. Were there other vehicles that you needed the book value of? Email me directly or send a private msg if you'd like info.
Amanda

Mondeo Zetec model is a very good car. 1.8 has 125 bhp. Handles, rides and drives beautifully. The best of that list imho.

Primera would be 2nd.

Vectra is a distant 3rd.

Hi, to get the book value of what a car is worth, go to the following web address https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator this is the revenue site for checking how much the vrt on a car will cost you if you bring one in from the UK for example. If you fill in all the details of the car and then click calculate it will show you the VRT price of the car along with an OMSP. The Open Market Selling Price of the car is what the government deems this car to be worth on the open market as of the time of the quote. This will be very close to what a garage has down as the book value of the car. Bear in mind that it might be lower than you think as garages when you are buying off them will have a % on top of this to try and make as much profit as possible off the buyer. Hope this helps. Regards.

Also on the three models of cars stay away from opel for sure, the ford and nissan is a close one but in terms of reliability it will always be hard to beat the japanese so the nissan is a good bet

The primera is very uncomfortable and feels clumsy in my experience. I'd agree with ACA, go for a similarly priced Avensis. Otherwise I'd have to choose the Mondeo.

disagree with some...found the primera 98 a great car to drive.........a bloody absolute bugger to sell on though even though the car was tip top and owned by a careful mechanic.

disagree with some...found the primera 98 a great car to drive.........a bloody absolute bugger to sell on though even though the car was tip top and owned by a careful mechanic.

That was the old model primera, that were far more satisfying than the one that came out in 2002.

I've had a vectra (02) for 2.5 years now, no problems. Vectra got a bad name (deservedly so) when first launched but the reliability has improved drastically as the model aged IMO.. the only negative is ride comfort on irish back roads, vectra is a motorway car.