mondeo or passat

slopes

thinking of changing car soon..

Possibly new mondeo,pasat or avensis..

would be the 2ltr diesel,or similar of each..

Having looked at them I think the mondeo,seems the nicer car.I feel that VW are deff over rated cars,and the mondeo ghia seems hard to beat for interior and driving..........

Avensis seems very bland and boring..

Any one buy the new mondeo?

have a 05 one, great car.
had a rental passat and would never buy one, window too high so cant put elbow on it driving, no hand brake- just button- makes hill starts far more difficult.hard enough on juice.

looking at the new mondeo,it really looks impresive,and seems to take it onto a higher level than say avensis and primera ,vectra etc.

rspically the top of the range model,dare I say it....Passat looks ordinary in comparison..

Mondeo is probably a better car OK, the only problem is that the Passat has like most VWs (and unfathomably to me) a better reputation for build quality and reliability and hence depreciates less.

Just bought a Mondeo and it's a beast. The Passat is a bit pricier so you get more for your buck with the Mondeo. Also it's really easy to get parts for a Ford, don't know about VW cause I never had one. Have an 8 yr old Fiesta and still doing the business.

I went throught this last year and I went for the Avensis. I cant see why people call it boring!. It was neck in neck with the VW but I went with a 07 luna 2L diesel because it has 9 airbags, it wont let me down and it will hold its value more so than any VW or Ford. I really cant fault the Avensis.

had a rental passat and would never buy one, window too high so cant put elbow on it driving, no hand brake- just button- makes hill starts far more difficult.hard enough on juice.

The button electronic brake is very simple to use on a hillstart. When stopped in traffic etc you put the brake on. You simply press the accelerator and the brake is automatically turned off. The car does not go backwards.
You can't do your test in a car with an electronic brake

I went throught this last year and I went for the Avensis. I cant see why people call it boring!. It was neck in neck with the VW but I went with a 07 luna 2L diesel because it has 9 airbags, it wont let me down and it will hold its value more so than any VW or Ford. I really cant fault the Avensis.

It is utterly boring. Handles very poorly and is bland in the extreme.

Horses for courses though. If you are happy with it all is well.

It is utterly boring. Handles very poorly and is bland in the extreme.

Horses for courses though. If you are happy with it all is well.

Well I can't fault it and Toyota do hold their value quite well.

`Buy a 2005 low mileage Mondeo Diesel Zetec 135 BHP. Lots of power, plenty of bells & whistles & depreciation from then on would not be a huge factor.

Great car to drive, good fuel economy etc. The hatchback would be best, if you require losts of boot space.

Toyota do hold their value quite well.

Would have agreed with you in the past, but seems like it no longer hold true for the Avensis. There are hundreds of Avensis for sale in dealers around the country and the price is suffering.

Have the new Mondeo 1.6 Zetec, yes it's a little under powered, but looks great and drives very smoothly. I'm not a diesel fan, but the Passat gets very good reports. If you are looking for a Mondeo, get your name on one now, the're in very short supply.

Re: Mondeo availability. If you're prepared to wait until September there are normally hire cars for sale at the end of the tourist season that are basically new with about 5000-6000 kms on the clock. There can be very good deals on these.

Lissard, think you'll find that very few new Mondeo were put on hire drive fleets this year.
Ex-hire drives do offer good value, sometimes, however you'll be very lucky to get one with 5000/6000KM on the clock, more regularly its at least 10000KM more than that.

Never ever buy and ex hire car. Too many horror stoies.

Very few will be 100%. Many will have been tipped or worse. More will have been thrashed, or otherwise abused. Clutches, gearboxes and drivetrains take a hammering.

RS2K - my experience of buying ex hire stock has been good. The cars are only 3-4 months old and get covered by extended warranty (2 years). Means saving on the up front depreciation. Could understand the argument however if the car was used for a longer period. I've bought mine through a dealer I trust and have had no bad experiences so far. I think the way it works is that the hire companies have a spike in demand during the summer months so they increase their fleet - at the end of the summer they dump the excess.

I bought new Mondeo 1.8 tdci Zetec 125 bhp,its a beauty,great space, comfort and economy and plenty of zip for overtaking.I have it since June and love it.

Last edited:
Got the new Mondeo, 1.6 Zetec, last month after ringing every dealer in teh country. great car. So comfortable to drive and the car is massive inside.

Back