Mondeo 2.2L ST TDCI

cashmni1

I am thinking of purchasing a 2.2 ltr ST Mondeo TDCI, second hand and importing from the UK. I have driven an Irish car and loved it. The VRT however is close to €10,000!! Has anyone any experience with these cars? Am I better importing? (An 06 irish car is aprox: €33,000 and an 06 from the UK with VRT paid is €27,000)
Can anyone tell me if the car is a lemon for resale or not?

Thanks for any advice.

Model is about to be replaced.

Resale isn't hectic, but you are buying used already so somebody else has suffered already.

2.2 engine is great.

Go with the import and HPI it.

I am thinking of purchasing a 2.2 ltr ST Mondeo TDCI, second hand and importing from the UK. I have driven an Irish car and loved it. The VRT however is close to €10,000!! Has anyone any experience with these cars? Am I better importing? (An 06 irish car is aprox: €33,000 and an 06 from the UK with VRT paid is €27,000)
Can anyone tell me if the car is a lemon for resale or not?

Thanks for any advice.

Pay attention to something called the 'Dual mass flywheel' - not sure i understand it all very well, but it seems to be a bit suspect on the diesel models and causes the starter motors to go MIA and may cost between 1 and 1,5k to fix. As posted elsewhere on this forum, something to look out for is a slight 'pulse' or knocking in the clutch if you place your foot lightly on it at start up or while in neutral. Also, if the starter is already giving trouble - it could be a tell tale sign.

Only an issue on some 2.0 2003 built TDCI cars.

Doesn't merit a mention at all on Parkers, and only a minor comment on Honest John.

Sounds like i'm one of the unlucky ones so..I have a 2.0 TDCi 2003 model and i've already relpaced one starter since i bought it last year and will probably have to couugh up over a grand replace the starter and flywheel now!

Yep. Bad luck.

Tou could get a flywheel from a scrapped one, but the labour is going to be be quite high either way.

Just a quick question out of curiosity about the 2.2 TDCi engine in general.

Does the other non-ST models (LX, Ghia, Titanium) all have the overboost function?

Yep 1.6 TDCI upwards has it.

p.s. New Focus in 2008 sometime btw. New 4x4 Kuga coming too.

Back