Moisture content of concrete - 5% or 3% for solid wooden floors?

eggerb

I have just moved into a new house and am planning on laying a solid 18mm oak board on top of 18mm OSB on top of a ??mm (not sure) polythene moisture barrier (comments welcome).

I have heard conflicting advice as to what the moisture content of the concrete should be before I can lay the wooden floors. The manufacturers advice sheet in the boxes of board I bought say 3%. Advice on the likes of [broken link removed] says 5%. One of their reps was in the area and I asked him to have a look and he said it would be fine to put down the floors after two weeks of the heating on.

I have had the heating on for the last 3 weeks and the concrete moisture content seems to be constant enough in most of the room at between 4 and 5%. (I rented a dehumidifier for a weekend but that didn't make a huge difference). The roof has been on since before Christmas and even the part of the floor directly in front of the south-facing patio doors is only 4%. So, I'm sort of wondering, will it ever get to 3% if its not 3% in that particular spot.

I'm keen to put down the floors but not as the risk of having trouble down the line. Any advice much appreciated!

[broken link removed] concurs with the need for moisture content to be at 3% at least. Was pricing flooring myself last week and guy told me that the time frame involved was on case by case basis and recommended heating go on as soon as possible - heat wave or no heat wave!! he said it could be 2 months or more! not a nice thought! :mad:

matter of interest, you are putting down 18mm wood, 18mm ply: 36mm in total; how'd that work with your tiles in the hall? (sorry for hyjacking!)

sloggi said:
matter of interest, you are putting down 18mm wood, 18mm ply: 36mm in total; how'd that work with your tiles in the hall? (sorry for hyjacking!)
Thanks for the link sloggi. Didn't give the tiles-to-solids too much thought but I'll find a suitable reducer. It will be a bit of a step but it I'll live with it. The alternative was a mat-weld in the solid floors at the front door because I didn't have sufficient clearance under the nonadjustable front door. That's was one of the main reasons I went for the tiles.

Hi Paul, did you get your floor from Noyek's? And was that rep useful to you?

Didn't bother going with Noyeks in the end. Seen a nicer (and better value) floor somewhere else - supply only. Noyeks were saying I'd be grand at 5% whereas the instruction sheet with the floors I have bought are saying a max of 3% moisture content.

Sure Petal. McGowans Furniture - their new shop in Airside beside the little chef. They've a nice selection - some mad money and some very reasonable.

Back