Modem Speed

horse

Hi folks,
While connectng to the internet with my new computer the modem speed is around 34 kbps, which my wife commented as the internet being a bit slow.
The old computer is faster and when connected it registers 48 kbps. Both modems are rated at 56k. Any ideas?
Regards,
Horse.

Check you modem speed settings in "My Computer", "Control Panel", "Modems" to ensure the modem speed is at the max.

Note that connection speed and the actual throughput are not always the same - the former generally sets a cap on the latter though. Best to try one of the many download speed tester sites (e.g. Blacknight's) to benchmark your speed rather than relying on the connection speed. If you are using a WinModem then there are lots of reasons why the speed might not be as fast as might be possible but drivers are often the main issue. Note also that 56Kbps modems actually max out at about 53Kbps and if you are actually getting 48Kbps (throughput not just connection speed) then you are doing pretty well. Note also that 56Kbps modem connections are asymmetric with the download path maxing out at c. 53Kbps and the upload path maxing out at c. 28.8Kbps to 33.6Kbps.

Back