Mobile provider to replace fibre broadband

Carnmore

I'm currently paying €44/month for fixed line broadband with Pure Telecom and €13 for 48months for my mobile calls, texts and data.

I'd like to try a prepay package to replace the above two plans. I've looked at ID Mobile and this seems good value

https://www.idmobile.ie/shop/phones-plans/prepay-plan

I've since read they don't allow tethering.

What is ID Mobile like to use?
Does anyone tether with them?
If not, which would be the best monthly sim-only deal which allows tethering?

Thanks in advance.

I switched to ID 5 or 6 weeks ago.
They're working off the 3 network which has its issues and blackspots, but I'd previously been with 3 for years, and don't notice any difference in service.

I had initially planned to go prepay, but seemingly you have to go into the carphone warehouse shop to buy credit, so I went bill pay. A really nice feature is you can tweak what's in your bundle, and although bill pay you can set a cap on the max your bill can be and it won't let you run up a bill beyond that amount. My bill is 20, and I'll be able to bring that down once I work out what I use.

I haven't tried tethering, but I don't understand how they can block it.

Edit: just checked, and I can't find anything in my contract about tethering. It's blocked on ID UK, but seemingly not here. When I said I don't understand how they can block it, u meant I don't know enough about it, not that it can't be done (before someone picks me up on that).

In general using mobile to replace broadband, I'd highly recommend you read @dub_nerd posts here if you haven't already
https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/phone-hotspot.205846/

Last edited:
I have decent coverage on three (av download 20mb) and tether it to watch netflix and home pc. Wife also has three, so we're able to keep under 30gb a month though they say "unlimited data" with fair usage.

Cost is €30/month all calls, texts and data.

If you've decent coverage on three, then its a great option.

I have decent coverage on three (av download 20mb) and tether it to watch netflix and home pc. Wife also has three, so we're able to keep under 30gb a month though they say "unlimited data" with fair usage.

Cost is €30/month all calls, texts and data.

If you've decent coverage on three, then its a great option.

Is that €30 in total for both of you? If not the ID Mobile top up plan is great value at €15; if tethering is possible

Does anyone have problems with a personal hotspot disconnecting when making / receiving a phone call?

4G Voice and Data is activated in settings.

Yes indeed. When I was online to look at my first bill, I realised how easy it would be to top-up a prepay phone.
The sales person in the shop and I must have crossed our wires somehow (not the first time I misunderstood someone!). But either way I'm very happy with the bill pay option I went with.

Back