Mobile phones in South America

Hatchetman

Whats the best way to go about using mobile phones in South America? We'll be Chile, Argentina and Brazil in a few weeks, my mobile is a pay as you go while my partners is bill pay. Presumably my won't work anyway and if it did the cost would be outrageous and its likely to be similar for bill pay phones. We probably would only need them for text messaging anyway while there.

Hi,
I was in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala last year and had no trouble with phone, and I was O2 pay as you go. It picked up local network (Movistar)when I arrived. Just ensure you are set up for roaming. I just used it for messaging as far as I recall but calls will work as well. Texts are around 39c per text to send (free to receive). Was sending a text every 2 or 3 days maybe so depends on usage......Calls then are around €1.09/min to make OR RECEIVE so dont get caught out like that.

Just had a look on the O2 website there for that info above and noticed they said its fine in Argentina & Brazil but wont work in Chile. Also checked Mexico and they said it wouldnt work there either but I definitely know thats a load of bull so it may be fine for Chile as well, give them a call to check it out.....

HTH

Forgot to mention that internet cafes were fairly common in Mexico so could be similar in your destinations.....ensure you are setup for internet free texts from your mobile provider.......

I was in Chile, Argentina, Brazil & Peru. Had no problem anywhere with my Meteor pay as you go. Set yourself up so's you can top up online.
You do need a triband phone but I think all modern mobiles are anyway.

I'm with Vodaphone myself and theres nothing on their website about roaming in South America that I can find. Has anyone any idea, normally they tell you which service provider to find when you arrive then switch over to them.

I'm with Vodaphone myself and theres nothing on their website about roaming in South America that I can find. Has anyone any idea, normally they tell you which service provider to find when you arrive then switch over to them.

Call them and ask which network offers best value in the countries you are visiting.

Hi,

I`m just back from Chile, Arg and Brazil, and my Vodaphone phone worked fine in all countries.
I didnt check which networks are cheapest, but when searching for networks there, I was only allowed access with one network in each country, so picked that.

In each country, I also bought a local sim card, which I could then use in my own phone. (Your phone needs to be unblocked). I brought a spare phone and used the new sim in that one, so I could still get texts etc on my home phone, without having to swop sims in and out all the time.

I found it invaluable to have the local phone - for ringing ahead to book hotels, or to ring and book an excursion etc. Also, people from home can ring you and it doesnt cost you anything.

Enjoy your trip! I`d love to be back there!

Shiraz.

Thanks for that Shiraz, How much were the sim cards? Is a lack of Spanish outside the big hotels a drawback? We are staying opposite the copacobana in Rio, are the stories about it been very dangerous valid or a bit exaggerated?

I stayed in the Rio International on the Copacabana. Stories not exaggerated. Be very careful around this area. I had a gold cross & chain snatched from my neck by a guy on a bike. Don't wear any jewelery or carry cameras etc around this area.

Anywhere else in South America I had no problem whatsoever. Just be vigilant with your belongings.

Have a wonderful trip. I'd love to go back again in spite of my nasty incident in Rio.

We're staying in Rio Internantional too, is it really a no go area after dark which unfortunately will be about 6 in the evening when we're there,from reading all the reviews it seems its the worlds biggest crime capital after Johannsburg. Is opportunist theft or is muggings at knife point. Obviously don't intend to flash anything or go near any dodgy areas but still its seems like its gonna be along week locked up in the hotel after dark.