Mobile phone with in-built MP3 player

zoe

I'm not too up to date on mobile phones or mp3 players. I just have a 5 year old phone myself (and no mp3)! So hopefully someone will know this.

Some mobile phones now have mp3 players built into them which saves carrying both.

When using such mobile phones is it possible to use the mp3 facility whilst the phonecall function is completely switched off? I don't mean just on silence, but with the phonecall function completely switched off so it can't send/receive phone calls. Which would presumably save the battery life...

Or if using the mp3 facility does the phone have to also be switched onto suitable mode and able to send/receive phone calls?

Most newer mobiles have what's called "flight mode". Using your phone in flight mode will mean no calls can be received but you can still use the mp3 player.

I have a Sony Ericsson W910i (but I think this probably applies to all SE W range phones), that allows you to just use the phone in the 'music mode'. When you switch the phone on it aks if you want music mode or phone mode. V. cool. Also, it has the 'flight mode' thingy you can switch it on to if you need to. Hope this helps.

Most newer mobiles have what's called "flight mode". Using your phone in flight mode will mean no calls can be received but you can still use the mp3 player.
Thanks very much dave2k

(but I think this probably applies to all SE W range phones),
Thanks fakefurbabe, that's a bit technical for me!

What's a SE W range phone?

What's a SE W range phone?[/quote] It stands for Sony Ericsson W range, for instance I have the Sony Ericsson K810i and that would be the K range, all have more or less the same stuff in them but some come with better cameras or others emphasis on the music, obviously the more you spend the higher the spec. My one has the flight mode with the mp3 player and allows you to add more memory to it for to add extra multimedia (music, pictures, video, games etc) you should visit their website for a better understanding [broken link removed]
All are damn good phones, reasonably priced and in my opinion beat Nokia hands down.

Thanks very much for clarifying that for me.

I haven't heard of flight mode.

With the 'flight mode' does that mean the mp3 part of the phone can still be used on a plane, but the phone itself is rendered non-operational whilst in this mode?

Thanks very much for clarifying that for me.

I haven't heard of flight mode.

With the 'flight mode' does that mean the mp3 part of the phone can still be used on a plane, but the phone itself is rendered non-operational whilst in this mode?
Yes, thats correct, but be warned some of the air Hostesses and Hosts dont understand the concept of flight mode and will still tell you to turn it off as happened to me recently.

Exactly.

While the SE phones mentioned above are great phones, don't feel you need to limit yourself to them. Most phones will allow a 'flight mode' or something similiar if they have a built in MP3 player.

Some phones are far easier to use than others (a family member, who has a SE, played with my Nokia E51 and hated it... so different strokes for different folks), so be sure to have a good play with any of the phones you're thinking about getting.

Thanks very much guys for clarifying that for me.

That's a great help.