Mobile Phone Spam...

You'd think it would be possible for cellphone companies to allow customers to block SMS messages which don't have valid originating numbers?

Does this happen anywhere?
In Ireland (I don't know about other countries), the mobile phone companies themselves pocket a substantial slice of the fees charged by the premium service providers. Why would they mess with that, or allow the 'regulatory' bodies (also funded by them) to develop teeth?

After a couple of months getting spam messages (at least a couple every month) I decided to do something about it. Using the 5 digit code at the end of the sms I checked the operator on regtel.ie then contacted the operator. It turned out to be Operatele (who were very helpful btw). They got my mobile number from a) texting into a quiz on the Matt Cooper show b) ordering tickets for a Corkadorca production show in Cork. Maybe it's my own fault for giving out my mobile, but I never asked for unsolicited texts (often of a sexual nature). The lesson is, be very very careful about giving out your mobile to anybody.

I never use SMS services (except person-person) and still got SMS spam.

I've initiated a complaint with the Data Commissiioner, but I'd guess the culprits will eventually get off by claiming it's a typo.

My phone company won't block SMS from dodgy sources with clearly bogus originating numbers (like 'FREE' and 'CREDIT'). It should be possible to opt out of all non person-to-person SMS but the phone companies are biased towards the 'service' providers.

The only hope is that one of the phone companies will offer privacy prtection as a feature to attract customers who are being presently being pestered.

In the past 3 weeks I've had SMS spam from a gym (I was a member over 3 years ago), a hairdresser (where I regularly visit), a beauty salon (where I visited once) and a garage (where I bought a car 5 years ago, and haven't contacted for 3 years). The hairdresser & garage texts were sent from regular mobile phone numbers and did offer an opt-out reply, the other 2 were sent from landlines which I phoned with no success.

Are texts cheaper than putting fliers in the door now?

If enough people react to these messages by getting back to the company sending the spam, and telling them they are not going to do any further business with them because of it, and actually follow up on the threat, it might stop.