mobile phone repair?

L

lokimercury

hi,
i recently dropped my mobile phone into a sink of water, causing it not to work for a few days.

I sent it off to: http://www.turnonyourmobile.co.uk/ to be repaired.
repair costs £35.

i've just received a message today saying that the phone could not be repaired and that it can either be sent back for £15 or used as spare parts (for them).

do you think that maybe it was fixed and they want me to say no to having it sent back for £15, so they can sell it on second hand? I doubt thats the case, but it just seems a bit expensive to be sent back a useless phone - but I understand that engineer fees cost money.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks.

I'd say that most phones dropped into a sink of water are goners. No reputable repair service provider is going to con you out of your damaged phone. Dodgy ones might though. How much research about the reputation of this crowd did you do beforehand and why did you choose them over others both local and elsewhere? I think you should forget about the phone to be honest unless it's worth paying a total of £50 for a model that might be junk.

BTW - our one year old had a good suck on my wife's phone recently and it was out of action for a few days until it dried out and eventually started working again!

most phones with water damage (depending on the amount of damage are def goners!) i actually thought that they were completely irrepairable but i got one fixed (by a dodgy one no doubt for 50 euro and its worked a treat!) if they are reputable theyre prob going my manufacturers status and once they see water damage they dont bother looking at it try one or two side st stores and see fi they will repair water damage! if you cant find any then just cut ur losses!

A few years ago our daughter dropped her phone into the water in Blackrock Park. We took off the cover and stood it on end for a week to let all the parts dry out. Worked again, no problem. Initially we thought it was a gonner but just decided to try.

I've worked in electronic repair and have a good few friends who work in this side of the(Phone repair) industry and they're told from the bean counters/process engineers that if it looks like water damage -scrap it.Why,basically the cost of repairing your phone is a multiple of labour cost x parts x through process time=(Unpacking/repairing/data collection/cleaning/repacking/shipping),and even after all of that the phone may still not work,become intermittant!...why... well the water may have damaged the fab on which the chips are placed or started it to corrode it(it has copper)and as they generally give a 3-6 month warranty on a repaired phone the costs of re-repairing this phone is even more uneconomical,...if your phone was an easy fix etc they make money returning it to you,plus for them to tell you it was unrepairable they may have gone through some of the steps above...having said all of this the previous replies about letting it dry out can work depending on the type of phone and casing you have...but you're odds are not good...you've nothing to loose...hope this gives some insight...