Mobile Phone pay as u go deals - so much better in UK

podgerodge

Another case of rip off ireland - just look at the difference between O2 Ireland and O2 Uk -

In the uk if you top up by £10 in any month you get 100 anytime minutes given to you free AND 100 text messages, AND 1mb data download allowance.

[broken link removed]

No wonder the earnings per customer are so much higher for them in Ireland.

podgerodge said:
No wonder the earnings per customer are so much higher for them in Ireland.
Wouldn't the revenue per minute be a fairer comparison?

I'm not an expert, but I recall hearing the CEO on the RTE business news over the past couple of months telling us that while the revenue per customer was higher in Ireland, the revenue per minute was lower than the rest of Europe. The reason for the higher bills was that the Irish talk more.

WOuldn't it be interesting to see a breakdown by gender?

The reality is though, that when the UK can offer inclusive data downloads unlike O2 Ireland it is the UK users that will be open to trying out new services such as the I-Mode service.

Irish users, of course, are expected to pay through the nose for the service, and probably won't take it up.

Called into an O2 shop at lunchtime and asked the guy behind the counter why the difference in added value between the UK and Ireland. He said "There's competition in the UK, and nods and winks over here". Nice to see such honesty!