mobile phone in Australia?

• Thread starter clairebear88
  • Start date
C

clairebear88

Hi im going to Oz in 3 weeks and am trying to find out what is the best way to sort out how to use my mobile over there? i want to keep my number i have at the moment for people to get in touch with me, but im also tinkin that it would b a good idea to get a number over there also, or would it? also i tink i wud need a certain type of phone to use in oz but am not sure what one???? help please!

Re: Mobile in Australia?

You can buy a Vodaphone sim card at Sydney airport (and probably most airports) Calls are quite cheap there - you could tell people your OZ number so that they could call / text you.

Re: Mobile in Australia?

for calls home get a local call card for 20 $ and you can make calls home dirt cheap - 5 c a minute

possibly the phone you have will work there - i've got vodafone which works in Singapore and sister's O2 works in Oz. have you checked that out.

yeah was in oz for a 4 week holiday, I just went into a phone shop and got a prepaid SIM from telstra and put it in my phone. worked a treat, very useful for bookings stuff.

You just need to make sure your phone is not SIM locked (i.e. locked to your service provider O2, Vodafone etc). Your service provider should unlock it for you on request if you explain that what you want

Last edited:
Not sure what network you’re on, or how long you’re going for, but on a recent trip I was able to use my inclusive ‘free’ call minutes (no roaming costs at all) on the 3 network in Australia (same in Hong Kong). I received calls too and didn’t have to pay any roaming charges either (I was still within my monthly limit). I’m with 3 here on a pay monthly plan with a ‘free’ text add-on, didn’t have to pay anything extra to send texts either. So when the bill arrived it was just the typical amount, despite having used the phone a lot in Oz & HK. I did have to keep an eye on the phone latching onto other networks (I suppose the other network signal may have been stronger at times) but could re-connect to 3 easily enough.

Depending on which network you are with, here's a list that should help. I was in Australia in January and I cant remember which network I selected to get the best rates on calls. Not sure it was Telstra, but the list below would help.

One guy with us needed to use his phone a lot for business and it was better for him to go into a mobile shop and get a new Aussie No. - got the phone, sim card and so much free calls - we were there six weeks and it did him for that length of time.

Just be careful if using your own phone. I started off great for the first couple of weeks but after that got a bit lazy with the phone. Ended up coming home to a bill of almost €270. Great.

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/roaming/consumer/operators/ie/index_en.htm

Last month while there - I found out my phone was locked - Vodafone bill pay. Ended up just buying a cheap handset to use over there and bought a sim card. Vodafone have a great deal where you buy $30/40 (not sure exact amount) worth of credit and you get €130 worth - it only lasts a month but given that you are only there a short time it is great. I ended up ringing home on it just to try and use up my credit :D

Back