Mobile phone for son

G

geegee

I want to buy my son a second hand mobile phone for occasional use ( not texting or trivial conversation) so he can stay in contact with home. If I buy a second hand one, as long as it is not locked onto a network is it just a case of signing up with a service provider and they will give me a new sim card? OR, would it be better to go down the pay-as-you-go route? Is there an expiry date on unused call credit on the pay-as-you-go? If I wanted to buy a used phone, would it have to be a pay-as-you-go type or can a contract phone be converted?

Thanks in advance,

GG

mobile phone

I do not know of any phone that does not provide texting so you cannot advoid that.
If the phone is not locked to a network, then it is just a case of buying a SIM card and inserting it. It does not matter whether it was originally a pre-paid or contract phone.
O2 Pay as you go credit does not expire so they are your best bet.
IMHO, you would be better off buying a new 'pay as you go' phone. fish4fones.ie have a basic pre-paid phone for 79euro. (it is with O2 - who give 70euro free credit with their pre-paid phones so you should have a phone for 9euro)

Sorry, I should have said - both of my mobiles are 087 so it would really need to be vodafone for call charges.

With Vodafone Pay as you go, you can make calls for 6 months after topping up, and receive them for 12.

I want to buy my son a second hand mobile phone for occasional use ( not texting or trivial conversation)

I think you're onto a loser there...

You could always lock him in the attic for a few years? :)

Yeah,

Food for thought....that would save me so much money on other things aswell.

Back