Mobile phone etiquette in the Office

TarfHead

Does your place of work have a mobile phone code of conduct ? IF so, how is it communicated and operated.

I wish my office did cos, having recently moved to a bigger open plan area, I am borderline homicidal with the cacophony of ring tones and unanswered phones in this place.

When I arrive at work, I switch my phone to a silent profile which vibrates once if there is an incoming call.

Oh, if only everone were like me - scary thought.

Re: Mobile phone etiquette

Tarfhead...same here...wonder if we are in the same building..having just moved recently also..

There should be a mobile phone usage policy in place in any big open plan office.
The saem goes for internal phones which ring constantly.......should be set as low as possible and given as short a delay before voice mail kicks in.
I work alone so not a problem for me!

In our office one of the men gets really irked with mobile phones left ringing on peoples desks so always switches their phone on silent for them if left unattended. We only have an office with 4 people in it so no one takes offence if their phone is silenced! Also there is an agreement over allowable ringtones in our office!

I definately agree that there should be a mibile phone policy.
I work for a big multi National and the mobile phone is "GOD"..

I am sick of hearinf peoples individual ring tones on the highest volume ringing constantly.

I always set my phone to meeting when I get to work.

Another gripe I have is when I am talking to a collegue and their mobile rings ,the Majority just keep looking at you but reach over and answer the phone.

I foid it extremely rude and ofensive....Dont all phones have a voice mail service.
I hate the way there is a compulsion in society which means if a mobile rings IT MUST BE ANSWERED

ZEGAR said:
I hate the way there is a compulsion in society which means if a mobile rings IT MUST BE ANSWERED

A colleague of mine once answered his phone in a meeting and then walked out of the room to continue the conversation. It was obviously a social call.

I was the only one in the room that seemed to think this behaviour was inappropriate :confused: so maybe it's just me ?

It's not just you...I think there are many of us out there that think it ignorant.

I would perfer a life without a mobile but I travel a 80km to work every day (and80km home) so a mobile is needed incase of any car problems.

Also I got rid of eircom after they raised their charges 2/3 years ago...

I do however make a point of choosing whether I will answer my phone or not....I dont automatically rush to answer it

Our company employs a strict silent mobile phone policy while in our very large open plan office. Other people are quick to let you know if youve forgotten and a call comes in. Proper order.

We are only 3 in the office, and the phones don't ring that much, but we usually have it set to silent, and if not, and the phone rings, we always say "sorry" as we know it can be annoying. But, before that, I used to work in a big big call centre, with a strict (or that's what they wanted) no mobile-phone-allowed-in-the-office policy....except for the managers....Ok, they might need to get business calls (rarely in my time there, except maybe IT manager, due to problems with the systems), but what it's really annoying is them not understanding that most of the staff are not nationals, with the only way for their families to contact them being by calling them on the mobiles. We were also doing shift work, so really difficult for the families/ friends to know when we were working or not..
I do agree with people complaining when phones are left unattended (more than once I hung up a call when phones were left over the desk during lunchs, break, etc with the most awful and noisy ringtones), but not allowing people to have it, even in silent, it's going a bit to far.
Best thing though was the excuse given, phones interfere with the lines, so, what about the managers phones, didn't those interfere with the lines?

In previous company, policy was that a ringing phone left unattended could be switched off by anyone else in the office.

In one office I worked in, an unattended mobile phone belonging to one of the men was answered by a woman colleague and when his (somewhat surprised) wife asked if she could speak to her husband she got a reply "Oh, I'm sorry John can't come to the phone, he's in the shower"

He never left his phone behind again.......

Kildrought said:
In previous company, policy was that a ringing phone left unattended could be switched off by anyone else in the office.

In one office I worked in, an unattended mobile phone belonging to one of the men was answered by a woman colleague and when his (somewhat surprised) wife asked if she could speak to her husband she got a reply "Oh, I'm sorry John can't come to the phone, he's in the shower"

He never left his phone behind again.......

Evil B***H !!:D

ZEGAR said:

Me too - and this practice isn't confined to mobiles. How many times have you been waiting patiently in line in, say a bathroom showroom or something, and just when it's your turn the phone rings and the counter attendant takes the call. Just think of it. You, the customer are waiting to spend money and someone making an enquiry about the price of towel racks gets a higher priority.

Maddening. Someone other than the person dealing with customers should be detailed to take these calls.

extopia said:
............waiting patiently in line in, say a bathroom showroom or something, and just when it's your turn the phone rings and the counter attendant takes the call. Just think of it. You, the customer are waiting to spend money and someone making an enquiry about the price of towel racks gets a higher priority.......

Have to agreee with you there fully...this is goes on wholesale...hotels...diy stores etc.....

ninsaga

Having recently moved office to something much more open plan the mobile phones are driving me up the walls - also extension phones that have not been placed on call forward.
We have a company policy of answering phones within 20 seconds, and I feel it's very disrespectful to others to leave mobile phones ringing. Grrr. Now it's all off my chest. I deliberately leave mine on silent but check it regularly & walk into our canteen area to make/receive personal calls.
Then again, some people see work as an extension of their social life or vice versa *rolls eyes*

Had the 'phone prioritisation' phenomenon happen last week at the Aer Lingus Premier check-in at JFK (I am a Gold Circle member). Spoke evenly but firmly with the fellow about it. Received Premier upgrades whilst enjoying the WiFi in the lounge.

Max Hopper said:
Had the 'phone prioritisation' phenomena happen last week at the Aer Lingus Premier check-in at JFK (I am a Gold Circle member). Spoke evenly but firmly with the fellow about it. Received Premier upgrades whilst enjoying the WiFi in the lounge.
That's one phenomenon. What were the other phenomena?

Who said phone prioritisation was only one phenomenon?

1. The phone phenomenon: Management deems it appropriate to install main customer service/enquiry line on desk of person who deals with walk-in customers in busy office/shop/restaurant/etc.

2. The prioritisation phenomenon: Clueless clerk leaves physical customer hanging while caller enquires about price of crazy glue / orders 9 course Chinese meal / asks clerk where the gang is meeting up tonight.

I could add a third phenomenon, where I start tearing my hair out or walk out (call it the "bird in the bush is worth two in the hand" phenomenon if you like) but you can probably see where I'm going with this.

Back