Mobile Media Hard Disk

Sarsfield

I've been considering an external HDD for storage & backup and came across the [broken link removed]

All the features of a hard disk and can be plugged into a TV to play video directly from the disk.

Has anyone used one and formed an opinion? It looks promising. I spend a lot of time burning VCDs & DVDs just so I can watch video in the living room. This device would save me a lot of bother.

PC World were selling a Packard Bell device (Store & Play) some weeks back. I've been using it a lot since then and it's the business.

The only issue I have is that sometimes, normally towards the end of a programme, the video & sound get out of synch. But that could be the content, not the device.

Apart from that it's the best value €80 I've spent in a while.

The discontinued 160Gb model gets a pretty good review here, although the 320Gb one is said to be a bit noisy here...

The Packard Bell one (if it's the same one as is described here) seems only to handle MPEG1 and MPEG4 for movies, i.e. not DivX or Xvid .avi files - that would rule it out for me.

MPEG4 == DivX/Xvid :) Whilst MPEG4 is a specification, DivX (and XVid) are implementations of that specification.

I picked up the same gizmo as TarfHead (for €50 - actually, I picked up 4) and it's t'riffic. Can't get the SD thing to work though. Navigation is a bit slow but, as the OP alludes to, it definitely beats burning discs. Just waiting for the time when these things come with 802.11g built in - or at least, when they're cheap. Or whenever TV's just come with network streaming built in.

I've been considering an external HDD for storage & backup and came across the [broken link removed]

All the features of a hard disk and can be plugged into a TV to play video directly from the disk.

Has anyone used one and formed an opinion? It looks promising. I spend a lot of time burning VCDs & DVDs just so I can watch video in the living room. This device would save me a lot of bother.

I tried to purchase one at Maplin near The Jervis Centre and was out of luck they sold in two days and the worker told me there'rd be no more coming, I guess it's the discontinued one. So if u want one in my opinion, get it fast & you can always get a refund if u change your mind.

Thanks for all the feedback. What hadn't occurred to me is that this device doesn't handle WMV format (and nor do most).

So now I'm looking at a separate HDD for backup and something like [broken link removed] for watching PC based video on my TV

Argosy 320GB Divx Harddrive - €182.45 delivered

From [broken link removed], until midnight tonight, or until stocks run out. Looks very much like the ATMT you linked to above (or the MeDrive, as they call it in the Greatest Country In The World!) ;)

Can you plug one of them into a Sky + box and transfer recorded material from the Sky box to the HDD? And is it possible to then play the transferred material either back through the Sky box or directly through the TV? I would be nice if these HDD could be used a supplementary drive for my Sky box (has a USB port

Re: Argosy 320GB Divx Harddrive - €182.45 delivered

From [broken link removed], until midnight tonight, or until stocks run out. Looks very much like the ATMT you linked to above (or the MeDrive, as they call it in the Greatest Country In The World!) ;)

Was in the process of buying, but figure I need to get the home cinema system sorted first. Sore I missed out on the PB model mentioned above.

Never thought of that! :eek: Might turn out to be the best option.

Does it not sort of defeat the purpose of buying a Media Hard Disk, to avoid having to convert DIVX files, if you still end up converting other files e.g. WMV?

Would you be better off buying a DIVX player, with a USB port, like .

Of course the key is to get the wireless media centre. Quick search threw up the following on buyfornow, that [broken link removed]at 220e is about as cheap as Ive seen. A friend has the dlink and its very nice. Anyone seen anything cheaper? Obviously coming down in price all the time so Id wait if possible.

Just be aware that the Pinnacle doesn't appear to support Divx.
Edit: Sorry. It does appear to support Divx. Nice piece of kit. It would save my buying & modding yet another Xbox and a wireless bridge

Back