Mobile home or Log Cabin?

sidzer

Hi Folks.

Have the option of putting a mobile home or log cabin on a site on the in-laws farm. This would enable more frequent visits as the current arrangements of sleeping in sitting rooms etc is not ideal.....

I don't really like mobile homes - smell, insulation and they don't grow old gracefully! Log cabins are a lot nicer IMO... Its a nice site in an orchard and a little wooden house would be a better match for the site.

The site is well off the road and in behind a block of outhouses would not be seen from the pubic road ways. However, planning is out of the question as after the last permission was granted on the farm it was conditional on no planning for 5 years.

I'd imagine that planners would not be interested in chasing you for a mobile home that is well out of the way. And if they did it could be shifted off-site and sold on - no major loss. A log cabin is more expensive, not mobile and looks more like a permanent fixture - planners could / would probably be much more concerned........

Any wise words.....

Re: Mobile home or Log Cabin.....

Why, how big is the log cabin going to be? Thought there should be no problem with that. Is it not the same as a large timber shed.

have you have a mobile before ? why say they smell etc ??
some of the newer one have double glazing, central heating etc !
if they are kept clean and aired they will last for years !
plus you would be able to sell it on alot quicker than a log cabin

Why, how big is the log cabin going to be? Thought there should be no problem with that. Is it not the same as a large timber shed.

Sheds are exempt from planning up to a certain size and on the condition you don't plan to live in them!

Sidzer have you considered something like [broken link removed] ... not affiliated with these lads or anything, just bought a shed off them and got the tour of what they do and was well impressed with these.

My parents have a mobile home by the sea and before I saw it I always had terrible notions about it (remembering dreadful family holidays in cramped caravans!). When I saw it I couldn't get over the size of it and the comfort in it. 3 bedrooms, bathroom (bigger than mine in Dublin!), large sitting room, fully equipped kitchen...have a look at some before you decide for certain. It might remove some of those preconceived notions like it did with me!

I believe you need planning for both , you can park a mobile home on your land no problem but as soon as you sleep in it then you need planning.

I am in the process of building a house and I am building a 5x5 "shed" that in reality would be a small studio apartment once its ready. 5x5 is the biggest I can go in Cork without planning.

Not sure if it is totally exempt from planning - as far as I'm aware (and please correct me if I'm wrong). I think the rule for no planning <25m2 floor area applies to a cumulative total of all the additional floor areas for the site. Therefore say if a garage has been built on site with a floor space of 15m2 (without planning), then you are now restricted to a 10m2 area for an additional build to be exempt from planning.