Mobile data, do you use much?

aircobra19

Wondering how many of ye use mobile data (over your mobile phone) and how much you download per month. Don't currently use any data, but think it would be handy.

zero. It seems to be too expensive.

I was on holidays last month and used my 02 mobile as a modem. I wanted to check my email. I kept a close eye to the time and limited it to 25 minutes, thinking that the cost would probably be about €15 or so.

Anyway, later on I got a phone call from 02 essentially warning me not to use it! Checking my email had cost me over €40!!! The operator said that some customers had got far larger bills, and they were warning me about it.

Why don't they just reduce the price?

(Price it locally and data was a fraction of the Irish price. Could be worth while picking a sim up from where you are visiting)

no, I have a blackberry for email and mobile broadband for my laptop. As above, I assume it would be too costly (i.e. a waste of money) but I have never really looked at the figures. I am considering getting a 3G iPhone but probably won't bother.

While its easy to do, you shouldn't use data unless you're on a data plan. All the network charge heavily for that. 250mb is a €7.50 addon per month on O2. I've no idea if 250mb is enough though. The iPhone plan includes 1GB.

Data when roaming is just a big no no.

Have the new iPhone since it was release 2 weeks ago, and would use it quite a bit to check mail and a few web-sites. Just checked my data usage with O2 online and I have used 55MB since 11/7, so not a whole lot. Don't think I'll ever get close to the 1GB.
When I looked at the price plans before I signed up, they did state that within the EU data roaming costs about €5/2MB and in the US €10/2MB. Where they get the neck for such charges I don't know, especially if I were to use O2's services in the UK. Anyway, the iPhone has a setting to disallow data roaming, so I shouldn't be sucked into such charges.

I have a data plan, costs about ten euro a month for 1GB (I think) and I tend to use about one tenth of my "allowance". I check emails once or twice a day on it if I'm out and about but tend not to use it for much else.

I second chris there I have the new iphone too and played alot with it and still have 800mb to spare this month out of 1gb, love it by the way

I find that the only time I really need to use data on my phone is when I'm abroad. Back home I have internet at work and at home, so no need. But when abroad I need maps, timetables, event guides etc. So the mobile operators are doing me no favours at all by charging ridiculous prices for data roaming. And they don't need to - it's the same operators all over Europe!

Back