Mobile Broadband

Highlander

Hi all,

Just moved house and have no phone line so can't get Eircom Broadband. I'm outside the areas of the wireless broadband providers, so that won't work for me either. Will probably be travelling quite a bit anyway so I've been looking at the Mobile Broadband offered by both 3 and Vodafone, but am undecided about which to try. Has anybody experience of either or even have any recommendations?

From looking at both companies websites, the 3 option (10GB package) seems to me to be the best value for money, so this seems to be the one I'd edge towards....but there could be something blatently obvious that I'm missing. Also, is there any significant difference between the datacard and the datamodem?

Any pointers on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
H

I just got the Three modem on trial but last night was only seeing speeds rangining from 20k-200k. What type of speeds are you experiencing JimmyMook? I live in dublin 15 so i would have expected a good coverage and my modem is indicating HSDPA coverage via the light.

10GB above is the download cap and not the transfer speed! I think the download speed is theoretically up to 1.4Mbps but this is an idealised figure and will probably be lower in practice due to contention, environmental conditions, protocol overhead etc.

let us know how you get on with that bmclough. I was thinking of switching to a mobile solution aswell, just to be neater. Theres a lot of messing with a modem/wifi router and all the cables etc.

with the VF datacard you can get a little docking station for it so others in the house can also use it.