ML500 and NCT

Eithneangela

We're due an NCT soon on my hubby's boy-tie - a great big Mercedes ML500 (gas-guzzler, major tax revenue for government....). Does anybody know of a garage in the Wexford, Wicklow, Dublin area which would do an economic service/health check? It's a 2004 model, God save us!!

The NCT garage will give a good economic health check. Put it in for the NCT, and have it booked in for a service the week after. That way, the garage won't pull the wool over your eyes. If it does fail the NCT, book it back in for a retest at no cost.

Tx, Complainer - makes sense, although I'm tempted to have the basics done (oil, plugs, lights and whatever else is needed after constant usage) before the actual test. The NCT garage is a good idea though. I'm being tempted by the marketing outside many garages now which offer Health Check for approx €99 to €135 for any car. 50/50 decision.

+1. There is a retest fee of €28 though if the NCT retest involves the use of test equipment.

I know that its outside of the area's that you mentioned, but there is a good garage in Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny. Mercedes drivers travel from all over to it, Billy Coogan is the owner's name and the number is 056 4441433. Always very efficient, fixed a serious problem for one of my friends and she had brought her car to a few main dealers who could'nt sort it out.

No connection other than that my parents are satisfied customers for a number of years now.

Many thanks for that, NHG. I think I'll combine the advice given, get the NCT done without a pre-NCT check, and then if there are problems, contact the garage in Kilkenny. Apart from that, do you know anybody who'd like to buy a 5-litre Merc at the moment???? Just joking - it's my hubby's baby

The lads in MKW motors are excellent.

Ask for Mark or Keith

M.K.W Motors Ltd . Address Unit A6-7 Kingswood Business Park Baldonnell Road Dublin. Phone 4595266

As said do the test and see what happens, just walk around the car and check all the light bulbs are working and tyres are fully pumped up.

Don't fail for anything silly.

NCT again!

One of the requirements for preparing the car for an NCT test suggests that the underside of the car should be clean. Will a standard garage clean with one of those power hoses work, or do I get the scrubbing brush and fix it onto the sweeping brush, get down on the ground, and work really hard? Does using a garage cleaner harm the underside in any way? Real novice at this - I though June was the month for exam-time jitters for teens - not for law-abiding, safe-driving, almost-senior citizens about to face major hurdle of an NCT!

never cleaned the under side of a car for a test nor do I know anyone that has.

good grief. give the car a wash, clean out all the crap and maybe a shot of hoover.

you could over turn the car and give the bottom a wash but you would be the first.

Many car washes offer an NCT clean where they do the engine bay and clean off the crud from underneath. Slim