Mixing woods

Brenno123

would it look off if i had an oak staircase (which is ordered) and walnut flooring?

obvioulsy i would stain the staircase darker to to try and match flooring.

has anyone any experience of this?

I would say you have no problem. I don't believe timbers clash.

I previously had cherry skirting against an elm floor and it looked well. Lots of good compliments etc.

Are you off your tree, stain an oak staircase !!!!!!!!!!!!! Why ????

One thing to bear in mind about the walnut floor, it will mark easily and being dark will show up marks, dust and dirt much more than say an oak floor.

Secman

Dont stain it as it will never exactly match. Leave the original colours and it will be a nice contrast. We have maple floors and a mahogany stairs and it complements well because the colours are different enough. I agree with previous poster.... woods do not clash.

As woods are natural they will blend together and compliment each other, if you want both to be the same colour get the same wood in both.

Agree that real wood can't clash & the worst thing you can do you wood is to stain it another colour. Varnish it - personally I like clear satin finish and let their natural look & finish compliment each other.

Agree that real wood can't clash & the worst thing you can do you wood is to stain it another colour. Varnish it - personally I like clear satin finish and let their natural look & finish compliment each other.

French polishing is a much nicer job than varnishing. It ages beautifully. Not sure if oak should be oiled though rather than french polished?

Definitely no problem with mixing different types of solid wood imo - we have several different types of wood in our place and it's the contrast between that makes them appealing. Too much of the same type of wood doesn't look well imo so personally I wouldn't put the same type of timber in the stairs as the hall.

sueellen, you're right - french polish is obviously the very best finish, but I reckon it would cost a fortune to get all of your wood done in this way. We have got some antique pieces done, but generally we send the piece to the french polisher & they return when it's finished. I understand there are several steps involved, so it may not be a cost effective way to go.

was my comment from yesterday deleted and if so why? it was related to mixing woods types ( floors doors and stairs)

was my comment from yesterday deleted and if so why? it was related to mixing woods types ( floors doors and stairs)

Hi Ludermor,

I've checked out the history on this thread and there wasn't a comment from yourself which was deleted. Are you sure the post actually registered on the thread? I read this thread and contributed myself last night and don't remember seeing a comment by yourself.

Sueellen,
Apologies if the message didnt register, not sure why.
My situation is similar to the OP in that i am going with walnut floor and am querying the materials to use in the stairs and the doors/architrave. I seen lovely doors in a showroom ( they were jaboba doors) and wondered if anyone could say if they would match. Does anyone know of any sites where i can research a little better

Just wondering what is french polishing? I am just about to paint/ varnish my new unstained deal bannistair and not sure how best to do it. Thanks in advance

Just wondering what is french polishing? I am just about to paint/ varnish my new unstained deal bannistair and not sure how best to do it. Thanks in advance

Its a trade in itself. We had our bannisters french polished and it gets better with age. Its not a cheap job though. We had ours done a few years ago and it was a few hundred. IMHO its a lifetime job. .