misty double glaze window

macnas

I notice that a double glazed pane of glass in a sliding door now does get some "mist " between the panes. This means that the gas that was there has escaped. Is it expensive to replace these panes? Or can a glazing company reseal them? I assume it is done in a working day! ?

usually just the seals need to be replaced or a hairline crack is allowing moisture in - try the glazing company who installed them - check your contract/ invoice terms first and or take their advice. Glass does not need to be replaced

macnas said:
I notice that a double glazed pane of glass in a sliding door now does get some "mist " between the panes. This means that the gas that was there

What Gas only air in there with moisture beads, you could reseal it yourself but there is a chance you would break glass,(big unit) Units should be guaranteed but it will be hard to get whoever fitted them to fulfill his guarantee, I'd just ask a local glazer or window fitter to re-seal unit.

For practical reasons the whole unit will have to be replaced- it's not possible (to my knowledge) to reseal an ex. glazed unit. These units are generally sealed in the factory using a special butyl mastic sealant, breaking this mastic seal to re-use the glass wouldn't be feasible. You may replace the entire unit. Genrally double glazed units have a life of 10- 15 years, anymore is a real plus.