Missing block(s) on gable top of inner leaf, dormer attic

usrbin

Wondering if any of the experts know if it's possible to build a roof WITHOUT leaving out the topmost block on the inner leaf, i.e. the apex/triangle peak? I believe this is done so that the long timber beam can rest on the block below,
i.e. something like this (front cutaway view, the uprights are block walls, the dashes are the timber beam, the X is where the block is missing):
______
|X------
||
||
-----------------
| ____ ____
| | | | |
etc.

I thought I'd seen some in the course of construction where
both inner and outer leaves were intact right up to the top. Anybody know?

And if the inner one must be left out, are there best practices for building up and around it with plaster/cement/insulation? Thanks all.

I would not be well versed on this but for my dormer house, the inner leaf went higher than the outer leaf so the angle of the house was able to rest on it.

Hope this helps - again not sure

Last edited:
Thanks kildarebuild... interesting. The inner leaf was HIGHER than the outer? Do you have Dutch (sloping) gables or something like that, by any chance?

Usrbin -

No sloping gables, just a straight forward 45degree sloping roof with slates. The timber angle was cut to rest on the inner leaf. Thanks

The carpenters probalbly knocked it out when they were roofing if it affected the level of the ridge
Just block it up with sand & cement . The ridge line usually goes out over the outer leaf & they cut it back when they go latting & felting