minor accident -advice needed please

house_hunter

Hi,

I had a minor accident this morning when I dropped my kid in the school and was coming out onto the main road. I slightly pulled out my car in front to turn right (I know I was bit stupid to do it a hurry) onto the main road when the car on the main road waited for me to turn right. While I was about to make the turn, a car (driven by a L driver) going straight ahead on the main road bumped into my car. There was slight damage to both our front Bumpers & one of her front light. She was driving her mammy's 06D Renault Car. She came out at me with abusive language saying that it wasn' t her car. I am named driver on the car that I was driving and she was driving the car without anyone who is fully licensed sitting beside her. I had given my car reg & insurance details to her. I don't mind paying the claim if it was small but I was wondering whether if I made the Claim as named driver whether my wife who is the main driver on the car would lose her no Claim Bonus or how does it work? Also is she not at fault to drive a car without anyone fully licensed sitting beside her?

Thanks.

Firstly, the fact she is driving a car without anyone fully licensed sitting beside her, doesn't give you the right to hit her. From what you say she appears to be correct if she was on main road and you coming out from side road. You were correct to give her your reg and insurance details. Did you get hers - you should have? You should now contact your insurance company by phone and explain to them what happened. You should also report to the Gardai because the other person could state later they were injured. Do now sign a written statement at this stage. Your insurance company should guide you re no claim bonus situation and dealing with Gardai.

It's also possible that she is on her second provisional, entitling her to drive unaccompanied, so I wouldn't rely on that for anything.

Although this does apear to be your fault. I would have no hesitation in reporting to the Gardai and your insurance company that she was driving without supervision. Just because it seems to be the accepted practice in this country doesn't mean the insurance companies don't take it seriously.

Having said that i know insurance companies will often examine every avenue not to pay out but this is one issue that really bugs me and i'm sure many others.