Ministerial and TD expenses

While we don't want self serving scumbags in office a bunch of wide eyed idealists wouldn't be any better.

I didn't say that that was the only problem with Irish 'democracy'. It would, however, be a step in the right direction. People in government, at least for the right reasons.

Hear, hear.

Your first point is not true. It costs €500 to run for election, assuming you are not a member of a party. Everything else is up to you. Many of those currently working their asses off to run campaigns are far from 'independently wealthy'. They have been fundraising for the past few years, and are tapping into their network for manpower and support. Sure, it is easy for somebody like Shane Ross to buy 6,000 posters and pay somebody to put them up for him. But to be honest, his media coverage is doing more for his campaign than his extensive funds.

Your second point contradicts your first. If the rewards are not there, TD posts will be the preserve of the wealthy, as only the wealthy will choose public service over other careers that offer greater rewards.

Is the €500 to cost of the deposit?
I'll modify what I said. It costs bucket loads of money to run for election and have a reasonable chance of actually being elected

Your second point contradicts your first. If the rewards are not there, TD posts will be the preserve of the wealthy, as only the wealthy will choose public service over other careers that offer greater rewards.
I can't see how it does.
Many people choose careers and vocations on criteria other than money. I can't imagine priests, for example, are hugely well paid.
I, myself, could be on much more money, but I'd have to live in Dublin and do 9 to 5 and all that malarkey.