Mini's

VWGolf1.8

I am thinking of getting a new mini - and there is a bewildering array of optional extras. might get the sports suspension and the leather interior. and possibly a/c - any one know which ones are worthwhile and which are a waste of money?

I've heard that the sports suspension on minis can lead to a rough ride - not sure if there is any truth in that though.

Caveat, what are the fundamental differences between comfort suspensions and sports suspensions? Ta

I own a new BMW Mini Cooper 2007 Model
What do you want to really know about this car

Caveat, what are the fundamental differences between comfort suspensions and sports suspensions? Ta

Confusingly, different people use different terms for a lot of things but 'comfort' suspension should mean that the suspension is soft - i.e. the ride should be comfortable. In general 'sports' suspension is quite firm anyway - the idea is that you 'feel' the road more and the car is generally lower.

Boy racers tend to love sports suspension even if it's unrefined and the car ends up a boneshaker. The main advantage to sports suspension is the generally better handling and roadfeel.

The ideal is to strike a good balance between comfort and feel - some would argue Ford have more or less done this with the Focus.

Any modification or alternatives to standard suspension in a smaller car will nearly always reduce ride comfort to some extent.

Haven't driven the new minis but they have a great reputation for handling as it is - my guess is that if there ever was a car that could do without 'sports' suspension, the mini is it.

I own a new BMW Mini Cooper 2007 Model
What do you want to really know about this car

i suppose what i want to know is which options are worthwhile and hold their value. i am thinking now of waiting til 2008, and getting the leather interior, xenon headlights(longer life:? , better light, etc), and a sunroof (if my budget can stretch to it).

the sports suspension seems like a bad idea - and the heated seats is prob a waste of money.../

any other options worth getting?

hi vw 1.8,
this might be useful for you- a discussion of pros and cons of various mini specs: [broken link removed]

To be honest I don't think any options hold their value and you won't see much of the money spent when it comes to resale time. I don't think Mini buyers are that interested in heated or leather seats. A/C would be a good option as would the xenon headlights. I wouldn't bother with a sunroof either. Pointless having both A/C and S/R and A/C is always preferable. The sunroof is just adding weight and costs. Just my 2 cents!

Actually a Mini is one of the few cars were the extras do add a lot to the resale value of the car. A/C is essential in a new car, you'll have difficulty selling it without. The panoramic sunroof is also a worthwhile extra, cars with these sell much quicker and for more money. Leather seats are also popular, the Mini is an expensive car for its size so buyers expect a bit of luxury. Xenon lights won't add much to resale value but if you do a lot of night driving they're worth the money. Lots of the extras are included in "packs", Chilli pack etc and are usually cheaper that way. A car with the Chilli pack is worth substantially more than one without. However, you'll never get the full value of extras back but the ones above are worth the most, things people can't see, touch or feel are worth very little secondhand e.g. dynamic stability control.

Bigger alloys look good but combined with sports suspension give a VERY hard ride, stick with 16" and standard suspension.

I'm on my second Cooper S, cost about €40k including extras - didn't buy it new!

Just my two cent worth I picked up my brand spanking new mini a few weeks ago . Its the newest model available, stop start function improved fuel efficency etc... I love it. I went for quite a few options on mine also and I have to say delighted with all of them including sunroof and aircon. I'm lovin it and can't stop smiling Oh I agree with DaveD i've 16's and standard suspension am very happy with it. Jealous of the cooper s tho !! I've only a cooper spec'd with my extras it was €32K . Cooper S next time !

www.miniclub.ie

A good Irish site for mini/Mini Drivers

I didn't opt for sports suppension.... with the run flat tyres the ride is hard enough.... maybe if i was only driving on autobahns.... but not on irish roads.... Give it a miss i'd say personnally... I know peopple whom had it and when getting a newer car opted out the extra....

Avoid 18" wheels on a MINI. They ruin the ride.

I reckon go for a Cooper. The best bet. Strong residuals. Minimise extras.

I used to think heated seats were a complete waste of cash, but if you get leather seats, you should seriously consider it. Without it, the seats will be FREEZING in winter if you go for leather. I've had both (i.e. leather with and leather without): basically I'd recommend either not going for leather, or if you do get the heated seats too (i.e. either none or both).

A/C is pretty much a must: even if you don't particularly want it, it'll make the car much easier to sell down the line if it has it.

Unless you do a lot of night driving on unlit roads, I wouldn't bother with Xenon lights.

I can't imagine why anyone would want sports suspension on a Mini: the standard set up is extremly good.

I'd also suggest heated front windscreen ... I use it all the time.... and multi function steering wheel.... ease of use for radio controls & adds cruise control... and it makes the wheel look good too.... I told my sister that they were contols for a playstation you can hook up.... bless.... she believed me...

I think the heated windows is part of a vissability pack.... also includes auto dimming rear view mirror.... now i have it i dont think i'll get another car without it

another good web site for mini related issues is www.mini2.com and questions i have had mini wise have been answered within 1 hour of posting it.....