Minimum pitch roof?

Dublin106

We're getting extension onto back of kitchen and I don't like flat roofs so want pitched/slanted roof. Roof is going from back of house into the garden.

However issue is height available under window sills on 1st floor. So think the "slant" or pitch might be a low enough angle. We want velux windows in the roof.

Is there a minimum you need for safe flow of water etc?

Most regular slates and concrete tiles require a minimum pitch of around 17-20 degrees. You can get tile or slate effect metal sheets that can go as low as 10 degrees (example).

Rooflights are a common source or leaks in low and flat pitch roofs, so the detailing around these is critical.

Last edited:
First off, work out the pitch.
Then select a finish that works at that pitch.
Then look for roof lights that can function at that pitch.
Flashing around the roof lights will be key as wind driven rain will find its way back up under the flashing.

I have a low pitch roof about 12 degrees with a fakro velux style window over a garage area, keeping water out required putting marine ply and torch on felt under the tiled roof area, I had no choice but not ideal, go for more than 15 degrees.

Leo's advice is good advice on this and I might add, a good experienced person to do the job.

Back