Minimum grout between the tiles

tablesalt

Hi all,
I am putting polished porcelain in the hall and hoping to ahieve this smooth flush glossy look. I want to see as little of grout as possible.
Is it possible to put porcelain tiles directly beside each other? And if not, how do they achieve that look in the interior design magazines?

I don't think I've seen any tile spacers less than 1.5mm - I'm no expert though.

I'm guessing that the style mags are as economic with portraying reality as most other mags.

The look your after is called "butt Joined" ask your tiler.

I don't think I've seen any tile spacers less than 1.5mm - I'm no expert though.

I'm guessing that the style mags are as economic with portraying reality as most other mags.

don't use spacers as above butt joint

Hi guys, thanks for that.
Asked the tiler today, he said he'd never done that before. Has anyone actually see someone done it? Are there dangers that tiles move or crack?
Thanks

I know that some porcelain (and other types of ceramic) tile may not be very uniform and that very slight dimensional variance may be possible from tile to tile; this could be a particular problem if you don't use a grout joint. I'd also be inclined to think that a butt joint may get dirty over time and it certainly won't be waterproof. Why not go with a fine 2mm joint and use a light ivory grout? If a jointless floor is what your after polished concrete or terrazzo would probably be more appropriate.

My parents have it done in their house. The tiles used have been rectified in the sense that the borders have been cut off so they sit in together nicely. You'll need a very good tiler to do the job though, but the final product looks fantastic.

I have done this throughout with limestone with a 1 - 2 ml joint and 600 mm square tiles. It's quite difficult to lay - levels have to be spot on with large tiles and small joints otherwise you'll cut your toes in bare feet. Cracking shouldn't be an issue. You'll need narrow joint grout.

dead level floors and get the most expensive tile you can afford. very difficult to lay but if done right as you know they will look superb.

noah