Mini S24 - Fan running no ignition ?

G

GL123

Hi All,

I need some expert advice on a long running issue (intermittent for 2+ years now). I'm nearly at the nuclear option of replacing the whole boiler....but that's really a last resort if I can help it. I've lost confidence in the local Ideal engineers who I've had out twice replacing the ignition PCB (200 quid a pop) and still the same issue resurfaces over time.

The problem (maybe 3-4 times a week) :-
1. Boiler clicks on (CH or HW), Fan starts (I believe it is the fan), status light on left of boiler flashes slowly (approx once per second).

2. This continues for about 15-20 seconds, then the status light flashes quickly (about twice per second). The fan is still running. The boiler will sit like this without firing up until I switch it off.

Some points of note :-
- Sometimes simply starting the boiler again immediately works. Ignition is instant once the fan starts.

- During this error state when the fan is running, sometimes giving the boiler a "tap" in the area between the status light and the pressure gauges causes the boiler to ignite(!). To me, this suggests there is something badly wrong with the electronics inside.

- Sometimes the boiler is running normally, then the CH drops and when I check the boiler it has gone into this error state (fan running, light flashing).

As I said, the Ideal agents have been out twice in 2 years and replaced the ignition PCB on both occasions after much head scratching. My problem is that this replaced part appears to fix the issue only for it to resurface again 3-4 months later.

Any input much appreciated.

Cheers.

Get a different RGI!
The Ideal S24 actually has 3 lights on the PCB. You can only see one of them from the external. The other lights together with the one you can see should give an accurate fault diagnosis.
Sounds more like a faulty air pressure switch or Venturi problem.