Mini-rant for Monday morning - X-factor

Absolutely. There's no denying she has a great voice, but she looks programmed. Probably enough for another thread here, but what do people feel is the best cover version of any song.

I dip in and out of X factor but this year I'm bored with it and I don't think any of them are stars (unlike Rhydian last year..). Anyway, what is annoying me this year - cue a mini rant - is the amount of magazine covers and tabloid headlines dedicated to how much Dannii hates Cheryl or Simon fancies Cheryl or Louis isn't talking to Simon or Cheryl wears a special dress that makes Dannii jealous or whatever...
I mean Come On!! Are people seriously buying these magazines to read up on what Louis thinks of Cheryl? Seriously? I suppose they must be or the magazine producers would not keep churning them out. But fair play to Simon Cowell - he knows how to hook in a crowd and keep them coming back for more...

You mean generally or in X-Factor?

Generally, I'd say Step On by Happy Mondays or Jealous Guy by Roxy Music.

I mean generally, I would not think there are that many of them in X Factor!

Did not know that Step On was a cover!! Learn something new every day.

Two I love are "One" when sung by Johnny Cash, or "The Ballad of Hattie Carrol" when sung by Christie Moore.

Absolutely. There's no denying she has a great voice, but she looks programmed. Probably enough for another thread here, but what do people feel is the best cover version of any song.

Mental note to self do not rant about how much hype x-factor gets, it just encourages more talk about said x-factor!

Mental note to self do not rant about how much hype x-factor gets, it just encourages more talk about said x-factor!

Was not asking people to vote for the best cover version on X Factor by the way - that probably does not exist!!!

I do understand fans being up in arms and passionate about their favourite contestant but what baffles me is that the English parliament actually commented on that girls eviction the next day....dont they have better things to worry about?

Aaargh no. I heard that and was throwing things at the telly. She's taken a beautiful song, one of the best Irish songs to have been written in years, and has turned it into more of the same mass-produced musak that offends my ears on radio daily.

She performed it on Live Lounge on BBC a few weeks back. Got great feedback even from Snow Patrol fans.

I do understand fans being up in arms and passionate about their favourite contestant but what baffles me is that the English parliament actually commented on that girls eviction the next day....dont they have better things to worry about?

And, I heard on the radio yesterday that Gordon Brown wrote to the guy who was most recently voted off!!! - what the hell...............

And, I heard on the radio yesterday that Gordon Brown wrote to the guy who was most recently voted off!!! - what the hell...............

Gordon Brown sent a letter to each of the contestants to thank them for their involvement in the charity single "Hero". All proceeds are going to the Help the Heroes foundation (I think that's what it's called - it's to help wounded British soldiers).

My personal favourite has to be Eloise by The Damned. The original sounds dreadful, but The Damned made it into a wonderful thing.

Excellent.

The Sisters of Mercy did some great covers, mostly live. Their version of Jolene was great.

Goth band doing Dolly Parton - brilliant!

I seem to recall that the Sisters of Mercy played quite a number of covers, some of them a little unexpected. I'd imagine much of this would be down to Mr. Eldritch's sense of humour.

Who can forget their killer versions of Gimme Gimme Gimme (a man after midnight), Emma (Hot Chocolate)? Wonderful stuff. Less frivolous, but nonetheless brilliant was their take on Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones.

Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All along the watchtower far surpassed the original, for me.

Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All along the watchtower far surpassed the original, for me.

I agree Jock.

Then again, as far as I'm concerned nearly all covers of Dylan songs are better than the originals.

(Awaits backlash)

Nice one Liam - I'd almost forgotten about this band. Great first album but lapsed into parody very quickly IMO.

Andrew Eldritch trivia - at one stage he supposedly held some sort of record re the shortest correspondence: whilst abroad and enquiring about SOM UK album sales he apparently sent a postcard or letter saying simply: "?" and the response was "!"

So there you go.

My personal favourite has to be Eloise by The Damned. The original sounds dreadful, but The Damned made it into a wonderful thing.
Is this the same Eloise that Paul and Bary Ryan did so eloquently about 40 years ago. Ooops, did I just say 40

I love Emma by Hot Chocolate. Must look up that version. I only got into Sisters of Mercy during the Wayne Hussey era.