MINI DV to DVD

colin79ie

Does anyone know how I can get my mini dv tapes onto DVD through my PC. I have read somewhere that I need a fewire??? What is this and where do i get it?

Or if anyone can direct me to a link with instructions?

Any info appreciated

You need two things:

1: A means of getting the footage from the camera into the computer.

2: A program to convert the footage into a DVD.

1 can be done using a Firewire connection, sometimes known as IEEE1394 or ILink. Your computer must have as Firewire connection (it's often the case) and your camera must also have a FireWire connection. If your computer does not have a Fireire connection, an add-in board would be needed, they're about 50-60 euro. Depeding on what's at either end, you need a 6 pin/4 pin IEEE1394 cable. These cost up to 30 euro.

2: A program like Cyberlink Powerproducer (there are others) can then take the files and make a DVD. These programs allow for editing captioning, music overlay and special effects.

BUT: I find the DVDs can be quite troublesome and don't always play on other people's DVD players.

A more reliable way, but with less options, is to connect your camera to a DVD Recorder (the type used for recording TV programs etc) and make the DVD that way.

I bought the firewire card and copied over the tapes contents to the laptop - I downloaded a few conversion apps but to be honest I have not had much sucess. I have ended up with either huge AVI's which will be too large for a DVD and I'm not sure how to split there or else I have gone for MPEG and ended up with thumb nail DVD's.

I tried ulead and cyyberlink without much success - is there A) a simple software which defaults settings or b) a recommended site for idiots like me.

thanks

Riddles, try a program called convertxtodvd converts most file types, takes time, sometimes an hour + but does the job.

Just reading that again. Your AVI's must be absolutely massive as the DVDRW's I use can hold up to 4.2 (i think) gigabytes.

Have you tried Windows Movie Maker? Comes standard in Windows XP, Vista etc.

I user a tiny free software tool - i think its called divo - will check when I get home. It simply records the info in digital format when played back throught your firewire card.

The file will be huge - buy an external hard drive.
The I use virtualdub. This it the only tool a beginner will need. Essential.
1. download and install the lame acm codec
2. ditto for the divx codec.
3. ditto for the koepi xvid coded.
seek out a tutoiral on how to dues virtual dub - its not that hard.

It will shrink your files to a compressed top quality avi file. 1hr = less than 700mb. Dont bother copying back to dvd format as dvds are already obsolute.
Viewable on any medial player or computer which plays divx.

can also save individual stills as jpgs using virtualdub.

Back