mini cooper

djkat

Hi everyone

Just wonder can anyone throw any light on this problem I have with my 97 mini copper,

when driving it is a bit sluggish and a bit of a rough ride, At times when stopped at lights it just looses power and cuts out

It was only serviced about three weeks ago

Thanks

Hi

Was it ok before the service. If it was then i would bring it back to whoever serviced it and get them to check what was done during service.

I've had similar problems in the past with other cars (not Mini Cooper)

Don't know if Cooper is prone to ECU problems? You could check www.honestjohn.co.uk

Any number of problems could cause what you are experiencing but I mention ECU as it would not be checked on a standard service.

Other possible causes: plugs, leads, ignition coil, taking in air, idle control valve...

Check with garage first though

Wait a minute - is there such a thing as a 1997 Mini Cooper? I didn't think so...could be wrong of course.

Last edited:
You may have a fuel pump problem, carb problem or an injection problem.
either way it sounds like lack of fuel.

Hi djkat,

This is probably a simple problem to fix. Dont start worrying about injection/carb systems at this point.

Have a mechanic look at it.

I've priviously owned two minis (1990 and 1994) and had a similar problem, low on power and would cut out as I slowed down at junctions and lights, used to use the choke to keep the revs up to prevent this. Turned out it was only firing on 3 cylinders. Does it happen more in wet weather. Root of my problem was water getting into the distrubutor and/or a faulty lead on the plug (not sure if I have all the part names right).

Check out the forum on . The guys here know minis inside out and should be able to help you.

Its hard to know, second hand spares should be cheap.
You should look up some cooper clubs, they could have come across this problem before and should be willing to help.

Back