Milkman/newspaper delivery

andrea

I recently moved to the ashbourne/ratoath area in meath. Does anyone know if there is a milk/paper delivery service in that area?
Not too pressed about the paper but with 2 young babies, if I get stuck without milk in the house at either morning or evening time it requires an emergency run to the local garage which I could do without.
thanks.

The 24h tesco has been used, but the whole point of delivery is that it reduces the possibility of having no milk.ie. theres milk delivered every day. And when Im in the house on my own at 8pm and the kids are going to bed and I open the fridge door to find no milk, whether tescos is 24hr or 1hr its not much use to me if the fridge is empty and the bairns have their jimjams on. Its only ever happened to me once, and that was once too often. (I can still hear the screams now)

As an aside, I cant see how the 24h tescos, supervalu with their extended hours, the recently opened Lidl, the soon to be opened Aldi and the new dunnes are all going to compete 500 yards away from each other in Ashbourne. Its becoming an upbuilt area, but not by that much.
All the better for the consumer I suppose.

I can sympathise to a certain extent on the lack of milk, but I am always two litres ahead of the game now after one incident where we forgot a bottle! But depending on a 24 hour opening window would be a last resort for us.

As a matter of interest when and where is the Aldi opening in the area?

Aldi is opening across from the health food store which is just a few doors down from the Ashbourne Court Hotel. I think it should be open by October but not sure. Seems to be flying up though!

Thanks much! Had a test drive of their nappies and the little guy didn't notice any difference, but dada did, the price!!

Yeah, aldi is flying up. Any word on dunnes?

Coincidentally, I got the lidl nappies yesterday for the first time too and they were tried last night and happy to report incident free. I'll reserve judgement for a week or so. And yes, wallet a bit lighter. :)

I also discovered the "bacon misshapes" in lidl. mmmmmmmm. Cant ever remember seeing them in aldi when I frequented there.

now if only one of them would start delivering milk...

Tesco do delivery at a prohibitive cost for just milk though!!!

"What is the service charge?

Service charge costs only €7.62, regardless of the size of your order."

Hi Andrea,

If you are still keen on arranging for a milkman to deliver you might be able to check with Avonmore or some of the other suppliers. I rang Glanbia some years ago and they were able to supply a name.

I would have to say though that it is more trouble than it is worth. The milkmen regularly get browned off with the job and move on. Sometimes there is a gap in someone taking over the round. We don't appear to have any milk deliveries in our estate at all now.

Some of the other problems are:

Milk is stolen from doorstep.

If you are out at all delivery times might not suit. We occasionally had milk delivered at 6 p.m.!

Birds/cats attack the cartons.

You need to keep a careful note of what you ordered and what is delivered.

Besides a one-off delivery charge the milk is also dearer per carton.

You also miss out on loyalty points in your own supermarket and whilst it may not amount to a lot in your case we would use approx. 30 to 40 litres a week - no minerals in our house! When Dunnes do triple points this can add up.

HTH.

Why didn't you ask a neighbour for some milk when you ran out ... or is neighbourlyness restricted to cups of sugar?

"Sorry to be flippant, but "30-40 litres a week", it's a COW you need not a milk round!"

After another one of our many arguments over too much football on our telly him indoors would probably say we have one already. :D

Back