Mileage Rates

flossie

Just wondering for those who get mileage paid to them - do you get the revenue specified amoutns of 59c and 29c per kilometre (for a 2000cc and above)?

I ask this as this is what we get for the Irish Residents - there are 3 of us (plus one in the North but he is covered by a UK contract). Our UK counterparts receive 13p per mile from the company, although the UK government says you can have up to 40p per mile. Obviously the 3 of us end up 'profiting' from this, although I use the excess to pay for tax, service and pay off car loan. This can add to quite substantial amounts, e.g. I cna get around €100 for driving to the airport, which is a fill of diesel, although I only actually use just over 1/8 tank of fuel. We don't mention to our UK counterparts how much we get, just say we get Government guidelines.

I'm not doing anything below board, I fill in my mileage on my expenses form, which is an Excel spreadsheet pre-loaded with rates, but i just find it strange that so much is paid out.

We get significantly less then that. In fact if you have a company car you loose money on mileage where I work!

How does that work Oscar? I opted out of the company car scheme in my job, taking a cash allowance every year instead....this is taxed at normal rates.

I also opted out of a co. Car and went for cash allowance which is subject to tax and prsi and usc and get 27c per km

We don't have company cars. We just pay €0.35 per Km and Revenue are happy with that.

If you are entitled to a company car but take the cash allowance instead you still need to claim at company car rate and not personal car rate where I work. The mileage rate however is really low for company car rates.

Oscaresque, on the spreadsheet for claiming our mileage, the rate for company car users and personal car users is the same. Is this potentially putting me at risk of some form of tax liability perhaps?