milage alterations to a VAG engine

cashmni1

I am in the throws of purchasing a Passat that has originated from the UK. The milage is 61k and the seller (from Galway) states that the car has a good HPI and service history from main dealer (currently being sent to him).
My question is, can I bring my car to a VAG dealer and can they check out whether or not the milage has been tampered with or not. I rang a few VW garages and the service dep. tell me that they cannot. they can only tell if there is a fault with the car. If there is no fault with the car, nothing will show up with regard to history. I would have to sent the cpu/chip off to Germany.
Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks.

www.carhistorycheck.ie

Try this if you want it's run by the SIMI. But in general if it is from England or the North or Japan etc they are ringer's. Normal Irish cars are hard enough to check, stay away from German imports.

as mr2 said these are popular clocked cars specially uk models ive done alot of work on these for alot of garages lately and they all seem to have the same milege funny enough, dosent matter what year they are, there always around 60 ish so you get the belt done .which basically covers the sellers This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language as it is the only thing which would go causing trouble.

my advice to anyone buying one is just get the belt done .better a few hundred now than a few grand later.and as for the history is in the post id take that as a non runner

I've had three passats. Great cars. If you want to buy one in ireland, spend the extra money and buy an Irish car from a reputable dealer.

If you wish to get a higher specification car, import it yourself from northern ireland or the uk. You can buy from a reputable dealer and look for discount as you are a cash buyer.

Stay well away from anything you are not 100% comfortable. Probably the most clocked car around.