migrating to wi-fi, slowly

bobbyboy101

Hi,

Firstly I've looked at all other related links on this site about b-band and networking, and am still stupified.

I've been using an Eircom supplied Netopia modem without trouble but wanted to connect a new laptop that I bought using wi-fi.

So basically I wanted to connect the new modem/router to a desktop, and then be able to use the laptop which has a wifi card with the net as well as fileshare, etc.

Problem is I started at 9 this morning and am nearly bald from pulling my hair out.

I've configured the new modem with the correct
username/password obtained from Eircom, my phone no./b-band acc. no.
VPI/VCI/Encapsulation/Multiplexing settings 8/35/PPoE/LLC
Primary DNS NO.
Seconadary DNS No.

What ADSL mode is used by Eircom? I asked their help line- no joy, assuming its Annex A.

But still I'm having no luck, the laptop and router recognise each other, but I'm unable to gain internet access on either desktop or laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm going ga-ga.:confused:

Thanks,
Rob

Not sure but are you using a modem and seperate router or an all in one?
If they are seperate can you check that the modem is set to "Bridge" - not sure which setting this was but mine was set to "router" when I connected to the modem.

Hi,
All in one unit.
"ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router" written on manual.

Model F5D7632ec4

Going nuts.
Cheers

Hi,
Got the problem sorted last night, 45 mins onto customer support - very helpful.
Had to reset the unit about 10 times as I couldn't ping the device.

Not the most robust software/hardware system as it crashes when I try to specify which MAC addresses I wish to grant access to the router, I'd like to specify one laptop.
I guess the neighbours will have free internet also, unless I can specify MAC adreesses eleswhere- any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

bobbyboy101 said:
Not the most robust software/hardware system as it crashes when I try to specify which MAC addresses I wish to grant access to the router
Any chance there's a driver/firmware upgrade for it that might make things more stable?

bobbyboy101 said:
Not the most robust software/hardware system as it crashes when I try to specify which MAC addresses I wish to grant access to the router, I'd like to specify one laptop.
I guess the neighbours will have free internet also, unless I can specify MAC adreesses eleswhere- any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Does the Router support WEP/WPA encryption, most new ones do. Switch one of those on (WPA is considered better).

Hi Clubman,
I googled F5D7632 firmware and there does appear to be issues with the current firmware.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14047076?hilite=f5d7632
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14297085

However, there is only a beta version of the firmware available.

It'd be nice if companies started selling products that didn't require the assistance of their customers to debug.

I'm a bit reticent about changing the firmware when it's only a beta version, can't keep the original to reinstall it in case things become even more unstable.

Dam099 - if I change these WEP/WPA settings in the router config. it decides to go to the toilet, and I have to start from scratch.

Thanks for your replies.

Back