Microsoft Works v Microsoft Office

europhile

Do I understand that a lot of PCs ship with Works preloaded?

Is it worth dishing out the extra cash for Office?

Depends on what you need it for. If you have any business usage, you will probably need the Excel in the Ms Office package, although the spreadsheet in Works can open a lot of Excel spreadsheets. If you only need to write letters and so forth, Word is fine -- its as good as or better than many of the office type programmes of a few years ago.

Thanks. I'm currently doing courses in Access and Excel and need to keep my hand in between the time the courses end and work commences - could be a couple of months. Wasn't sure if I'd get away with Works.

I'm poking around the Dell website. I take it there's an option to buy Office there. It's not very clear.

i found sending docs. in Works format were useless as recepient would also need works to open that doc. and I found all my docs were returned unopened. Major hassle.

My Dell laptop came with Works preloaded.

Has to get "a friend" to upload Office.

Good luck

The recipient doesn't have to have works installed as can easily open in the compatible mode with office, granted MS don't make that simple in a one click form so either use openoffice.org or open your own office with the many cracks , just don't be forced to buy a ridiculously priced programme because of market domination.

There is a student/home version of MS office that is priced a lot better than the full product, and seems to do the same things. If you are like most people, you won't use 90% of the features anyway. Can't remember what it costs, but its a lot cheaper anyway.

However as I said before, you can probably get by with Word -- it's adequate for most users.

i found sending docs. in Works format were useless as recepient would also need works to open that doc. and I found all my docs were returned unopened. Major hassle.

My Dell laptop came with Works preloaded.

Has to get "a friend" to upload Office.

Good luck
Do you mean that you are running an illegal pirated copy?

The student/teacher vesion of Office is cheaper than the full offering but it does not contain Access.

Back