Microsoft Messenger

JohnnyBoy

I've a bit of a problem with Messenger.My friend downloaded the program for me last week,but I'm having difficulty turning it off.So anytime I'm working on the computer,I keep getting messages when I don't want to chat.A couple of other people use my computer during the week & they're getting annoyed by the messenger.
Any suggestions as to how it can be controlled,if I can't control it,I'll have to delete it.

Sure there is the option not to log in automatically when you switch your computer on....
What version do you use? Is windows XP you have on your computer?

Did you try right clicking the task-bar icon.On the pop up menu which appears; go to "my status" then select "appear offline". I hope this helps.

From the MS Messenger help:
To stop the Windows Messenger program from starting automatically
  1. In the Windows Messenger main window, click the Tools menu, and then click Options.
  2. On the Preferences tab, clear the Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts check box.
You can start Windows Messenger manually from the Windows Start menu.
Also clearing the Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background option will prevent it from appearing in your Windows System Tray at the bottom right of the screen.

Thtas useful as I had the same problem. Can anybody tell me how to permanently disable/cancel a hotmail or messenger account?

From the Hotmail help:
Close your account
  • If you have a free MSN account, and don't use it to sign into another service, go to the Close Account page, and then follow the instructions on-screen.
  • If you're a paying MSN subscriber, or if you have a free Hotmail account that you use to sign in to another MSN service (such as MSN Radio Plus), visit the , and then click Contact Support. If necessary, sign in again.
Note

If you don't sign in to your Hotmail account for more than 30 days, or
within the first 10 days after signing up for a new account, all messages, folders, and contacts are marked for deletion, but the account name is still reserved. If the account stays inactive for a further 90 days, the account name is permanently deleted.

You can just double click on the icon on your desktop, go to tools / options/ preferences tab and uncheck the box that says "Run this program when Windows starts"

There is also another Messenger service which is nothing to do with MSN/Windows Live Messenger. This can pop up messages which are usually warnings about spyware etc. You can safely disable this service by going to Start/Run... and typing services.msc. Look for a service called 'Messenger'. Double click it and change the 'Startup type' to Disabled and click OK.

I'm not sure that the average user should be encouraged to go into the Services MS Management Console and switch things off without understanding what they're doing. On the other hand the Messenger service on my PC is disabled by default anyway so perhaps that's the normal default?

Update: ah - [broken link removed] disabled by default on XP Pro/SP2 only.

Back