micra spitting out oil when running.

ivor james

Hi

I just got a 2001 micra one lady owner 62000 mls,today i am going to service it,but i noticed that when i removed the oil cap when the engine is running oil is spitting out all over the place. I am wondering if this is a problem as i have never noticed it before on other cars that i have owned.

Why remove the oil cap when THE ENGINE IS RUNNING?

Normally one does this when engine is off and preferably cooled down?

Surely when the engine is running components are active and the oil is being cycled, spitting would happen??

Bob

it depends on the car some cars you can do it and it wont spit oil some will. some wont run at all if you remove the oil filler cap. I would think its OK. At least you know the oil is circulating to the top of the engine.

UPDATE,

No problem with the engine spitting oil, I tried this just to see if there was pressure at the top of the engine,and it was only just started up,not like it had been running for 20 mins,just for a minute. I have had cars in the past that this didnt occur in,but as another poster pointed out that is because some models may have some kind of filter to prevent this, so all normal there, HOWEVER, the engine management light came on a couple of days ago,when I brought it to a nissan mechanic he diagnosed that in needs a new throttle body,and will cost 880 euro!! My query this time is do I have any comeback with the dealer I purchased from, I have a 3mth guarentee on engine and gearbox,but I have not been able to get a straight answer yet from him as to wheter or not he will cover this, anyone reckon this is an engine problem,or technically an engine management problem? Confused.

A throttle body is a piece of hardware, it's part of a fuel-injected engine's air/fuel system. It houses a valve that regulates air-intake in response to pressure on the accelerator, either directly in an old-fashioned analogue system (cable) or electronically in a fly-by-wire system.

The performance of the valve is monitored by the engine management system in order to optimise fuel consumption and comply with emissions regulations, but a throttle body is part of the engine as far as I am concerned.

Throttle bodies, which may varnish-up or oil-up over time (often because of the misuse of after-market "performance" air-filters or induction systems) can be cleaned using "carburettor cleaner". I have seen throttle body problems misdiagnosed when the problem is actually with the mass air-flow meter (MAF) sensor or its electrical connections.

This is a useful article.

First the oil that is being spewed is normal on the micra engine being as there is no baffleover the cam shaft and as such it is just being flung off the lobe as it rotates.

second the throttle body should be covered under an engine and box warranty but it is unlikely to be that badly damaged best thing to do wold be get a second opinion on the cause of the fult or post your symptoms here and i'll give you some idea of the cause. is there any fault with the way that the car is running?