Michelle Mulherin the new Alice Glenn/Mary Whitehouse

Yes that puts it nicely. The website is so that young people can have a mature approach and an open conversation about most sexual behaviour with information designed for them and speaking directly to them on matters that concern them and which some/many of us parents fail to/ are incapable of/unwilling to teach our own children.

Consensual sex between and involving minors is illegal. As are certain other practices.

Sorry idiot here forgot about the minors being illegal bit. That wasn't what I was referring to though. Anyway in relation to minors, they do it too and they ergo thy need the information on spun out.

And now I'm nearly hopelessly lost with Purple's catholicism bit on this.

All very confusing, no wonder young people are messed up.

Me? Thanks, but I was referring to 'you' in the general third person (as your post was) rather than you personally.

Besides, I hedged my bets and took up Judasim, no hell, have as much surf and turf, hog roast and using the computer on a Saturday as you want, max 12 months in Gehenna, then Heaven. It's like the express ticket at Disney Land.

Let's face it there is a logic to "abstain". No problems if you just didn't do it and kept the pants buttoned up. It's all about resisting temptation (except probably the best means of resisting, onanism a sin too...oh and filthy and shameful and disgusting, maybe even a mental illness for a while...quick fact, corn flakes were supposed to have been developed as cure for onanism).

But we've seen that doesn't work. Sure in the old days it did everything was better in the old days... Except it didn't work. But that last bit is irrelevant, after all we preferred state sanctioned slave labour and abuse in laundries for 'those people' than throw off the shackles of dogma and to shout of abstain. Or we forced them into marriage and preferred children grow up in a loveless and sometimes abusive relationship.

It was all so much easier back then.

But there is nothing mature about a programme that reduces relationships education to the sort of 'spice up your love life' tips that the redtops use as spacefillers.

Going to mass and saying you are a Christian is one thing.
Believing in, understand, and living by the teachings of the Church is what makes you a Christian.

Purple I know you like to stir the pot when it comes to religious discussions but you're talking through your hat on this one. It's a bit rich a self proclaimed atheist telling others what the true definition of a Christian is. People can be Roman Catholics whilst at the same time not agreeing with all teachings of the Church. Disagreeing with certain teachings depending on your own opinion makes us human. You might like to believe that to be a Roman Catholic means you should believe all teachings unquestioningly but that just shows up your own views imho. I'm a Roman Catholic and I certainly don't agree with everything the Church stands for but I'm quite comfortable with that and you certainly don't hold the right to lecture me on my stance.

Yes, I gathered that, but I didn't understand your point.

My point was, and back to Purple's point, is that while you may not be excommunicated or ejected for not agreeing to or abiding by all the dictated beliefs of the RC faith, isn't the point that if you don't, unless the Pope/God offers a new clarification, you go to hell/purgatory for not following those points?

For example, if I were homosexual and engaged in a homosexual relationship, if I followed every other RC belief apart from that one, wouldn't I go to hell?

I don't want to speak for Purple, but my take on his point is that being RC specifically means belief in the RC faith and all its teachings and the interpretations of those teachings by the current Pope.

By opting out of some, for whatever reason, does that not mean you are saying the Pope/God is wrong on certain issues, ergo in the strictest sense, you can't fully describe yourself as RC?

This is the original text in the original article. It does list the pro's and con's of threesomes, I personally don't think it's unwise or scandalous to do so. And by the way T McGibney it is not reducing relationships to this, this is only 1 article on the website which includes much more relevant and helpful material to teenagers.

From here

[broken link removed]

Threesomes
How to have a fun and safe experience.
What is a threesome?
A threesome involves getting sexually intimate with two people rather than just one person. Threesomes can involve any combination of guys and gals. They often consist of a couple experimenting with another person outside of their relationship. Threesomes can be really exciting and fun, but like all things in life, they have their downsides too.
Also, remember that in the Republic of Ireland the legal age of consent is 17, and in Northern Ireland it is 16.
Pros
  • It’s fun! Threesomes are pretty exciting things. People usually really enjoy them.
  • It’s a sexual adventure. Threesomes are usually a once in a lifetime or an occasional experience.
  • It spices things up. Some couples say that even one threesome experience injects serious passion into their bedroom shenanigans.
Cons
  • The jealousy monster. You or your partner might feel jealous afterwards, no matter how much you tried to divide your time equally between the two people.
  • The insecurity. You or your partner may feel that the other person had a better body than you. You may worry that your partner fancies them more.
  • The relationship could break down. In the worst case scenario, you may not be able to move past jealousy. You may wonder why you even needed the threesome in the first place. You could ultimately end up breaking up.
Top tips for keeping it safe and enjoyable
  • Keep it safe. Yeah, yeah, you’ve heard it all before, but seriously keep yourself protected. Why should your fun be ruined by unwanted pregnancy or an STI? Do be aware that you’ll need to change condoms if you are switching partners during the threesome. Otherwise you could end up with some pretty nasty infections.
  • Only do it if you want to do it. Not ‘cause you want to keep your girl or guy happy or because other people say it would be great craic.
  • Think through the pros and cons. Definitely think through it all if you are the jealous type or if you have moral or religious issues with threesomes. You don’t want to end up regretting it!
  • Be clear about why you are doing this. Are you looking to have fun and a once in a lifetime experience? Are you looking to spice up your sex life? Or is this a last ditch attempt to keep your partner interested? Only you know the answers to these questions, but it’s best to be honest with yourself.
  • Establish sexual grounds rules i.e. maybe you can get it on with the guy or gal, but your partner can only watch or have sex with you. Or maybe it’s a free for all and there are no real rules. You and your partner should decide on all of this beforehand.
  • Respect your partner. If your partner tells you that they want things a certain way, don’t ignore it during the threesome. That’s pretty uncool and will likely affect your relationship too.
  • Many people like to set the scene with dim lighting etc. This is particularly important because there may be a bit of shyness at the start before you get down to it.
  • Give equal time to the other people in the threesome, don’t concentrate on one person while the other person is left there all alone.
  • Don’t just concentrate on yourself and your own pleasure. This is true in any sexual situation anyhow. Just because it’s a threesome doesn’t mean this rule will change.
  • Don’t pick anyone you have feelings for. If you’re in a relationship, but secretly have a thing for someone else, bringing them into a threesome could lead to serious hurt. It’s best to save threesomes for a bit of fun.
  • Pick a code word. Anything you like can work as a code word, but the code word is your way of saying that you want to stop the threesome and get out.
  • Reassure your partner afterwards. When the threesome is over, make sure you let your partner know that they are still top dog for you. They may be feeling a bit insecure, even if they are the one who suggested it in the first place.

To be honest, even though I take the first left at anything to do with sex, I can see how some people might have a problem with it.

I'm not sure it's the greatest advice and I'd prefer the line about "not doing it if you don't want to" being far more prominent.

And it doesn't even begin to tell you about how to go about arranging one, a few phone numbers would be handy.

That may be so Latrade but I don't think most people adopt such a strict interpretation of many of the teachings of the Church. Even the Church themselves change over time so that certain teachings are altered. The new Pope is a lot more liberal than previous Popes so I expect teachings may change further during his reign.

Sorry, i think you must still be reading from the pre-Vatican II Catechism. In the past 30 years, the only churchman I have heard talk about hell has been Ian Paisley.

By opting out of some, for whatever reason, does that not mean you are saying the Pope/God is wrong on certain issues, ergo in the strictest sense, you can't fully describe yourself as RC?

No it doesn't.

Sorry, i think you must still be reading from the pre-Vatican II Catechism. In the past 30 years, the only churchman I have heard talk about hell has been Ian Paisley.

The previous two popes both talked about hell albeit not in fire and brimstone speeches. Pope John Paul talked about hell as a state of being and Pope Benedict implied that hell was an actual place.

Hell is still part of catholic school teachings and to suggest you can be a Roman Catholic but not agree with their teachings is absurd. If you want to pick what rules to agree with according to your own moral compass while ignoring the ones you find offensive or ridiculous is as wrong as people who run to the church for the big party occasions but ignore it every Sunday.

No it doesn't.

Nope, you're right. I shouldn't have implied all the church's teachings, just those deemed dogma. I assume post Vatican ii still holds to dogma and heresy.

So if I don't believe in the resurrection of Christ, but everything else am I RC?

And as Sunny points out, hell is still around, John Paul II wrote a pretty large opinion on it.

The new guy is more interested in the poor and is closer, in my view, to a humble priest, but he's been very socially conservative in everything he's said so far in his career. I don't see him moving away from the Gospel on adultery and specifically the letters of St. Paul to the Romans on homosexual acts (rather than homosexuality in general).

The Pope is a socially conservative catholic . . who'd have thunk it? Catholics aren't clamouring for anything else, it seems that only atheists are . . what do they care?

to suggest you can be a Roman Catholic but not agree with their teachings is absurd.

Disagree completely Sunny. To suggest that 1.2 billion Roman Catholics worldwide agree with all of the teachings of the Church and not disagree on any of them, now that is absurd.
Quite why non Catholics are so concerned with how Catholics are defined I don't get, as michaelm said, why do they care?