Michael McGrath to top poll in his constituency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
It's interesting that the TD who has been most active in supporting Fair Mortgage Rates is topping the poll and is two percentage points ahead of Micheál Martin.

Richly deserved in my opinion.

It's a terrible pity that Ciarán Lynch who has done great work on the Oireachtas Finance Committee and The Banking Inquiry looks set to lose his seat with only 6% of the vote.

Brendan

I am not surprised that Michael McGrath is performing well.He has probably the best grasp of our economic situation in Dail Eireann.A very balanced view on everything and treats everybody with respect.

Ciaran Lynch has done a good job but unfortunately for him Labour is on its knees.

I've nothing personally whatsoever against Ciaran Lynch but the Banking Inquiry sums up Labour's misdirection over the past 6 or 7 years: an expensive, limited-focus and partisan exercise, of practical use to nobody and of interest to nobody except political and media anoraks.

I've nothing personally whatsoever against Ciaran Lynch but the Banking Inquiry sums up Labour's misdirection over the past 6 or 7 years: an expensive, limited-focus and partisan exercise, of practical use to nobody and of interest to nobody except political and media anoraks.

Hi Tommy

I wouldn't disagree too much with that assessment of the Banking Inquiry, but why blame Labour for it?
Was it not primarily a Fine Gael initiative? I might be wrong, I haven't followed it that closely.

I did not believe that they would ever issue a report, so fair play to Ciarán for keeping it together and getting the report out. I sent him questions to ask the banks and Central Bank when he was chair of the Oireachtas Finance Committee and he always handled them well.

Brendan

Hi Brendan

I'm not sure which of the government parties initiated the Banking Inquiry, but as its chairman Ciaran Lynch was its public face and frequent defender. He may have been good at putting questions to the banks, but he must have realised from the outset that as a politician he was hopelessly conflicted in that role.

Last edited:
The Banking Inquiry was set up by the government parties to damage Fianna Fail.In fact it was delayed for years so as the report would be published just before the election.But it all backfired.

The Banking Inquiry was set up by the government parties to damage Fianna Fail.In fact it was delayed for years so as the report would be published just before the election.But it all backfired.
That was certainly a factor alright.

I like Michael McGrath. I think he'd make a good leader of FF and he's not saddled with baggage like the current FF leader.

We could end up with McGrath leading FF and Bruton leading FG. Just imagine, two leaders with finance related qualifications. I can't see it happening; look how well the usual publicans, lawyers and school teachers have done. Why change that?!

I think most people just like Michael McGrath because of his knowledge honesty and simple english.Minister for Finance next step.

Michael seems like a real nice guy. Unfortunately this time next year the leaders of the Western world could be the Donald and Boris. They would eat poor Michael without salt. Come to think of it, I might just vote for Grizzly.:eek:

Grizzly is our version of Donald; a protest vote appealing to the lunatic minority.
I'm not sure who is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back