Mibi

Peckham

Was in a collision with another driver in the past few days - he rear-ended me whilst stuck in traffic, so entirely his fault. When I got out of the car I noticed his insurance disc was out of date by 3 months, and called the guards. Whilst I was on the phone, he overtook me and disappeared into the distance.

Guards turned up 10 minutes later, and I gave them all the details including his registration number. Guards have identified the owner, but not yet spoken to him. Although it would seem that the owner details may be incorrect, as the very brief conversation I had with the other driver indicated he was Eastern European, whereas the guards say the car is registered in an Irish name.

According to my insurance company, in order to make the claim against MIBI, they need verification (from the Guards) that the driver was uninsured. If the guards fail to track down the driver, and hence cannot verify that he is uninsured, does my claim against MIBI fail? And then I need to cover damages from my own insurance?

Had read through the information on that, but it doesn't answer my key question - i.e. how can they establish whether a driver is uninsured if they cannot contact the driver? AFAIK there is no central database providing this information.

I'd give the Guards a chance to track down the driver. Have they confirmed that the car was stolen or was the 'other guy' driving with the owners consent ?

If it was stolen he was not insured. If he was driving with the owners consent it may be that he is or is not insured.

If the Guards cannot track down this driver, you may be able to approach the problem by proving no licenced motor insurer in Ireland has a record of this vehicle being insured at the time of the incident. It's possible to obtain a list of all licenced motor insurers from the Irish Insurers Federation ([broken link removed]) and a Guard has the authority to then ring each insurer and ask for any record of this vehicle (registration numbers can be identified on insurers computer systems). This would probably track down the identity of the holder of the 3 month out of date insurance policy that you mentioned. However please note, this approach ignores the possibility of a non Irish insurer covering the vehicle so maybe check about this approach with MIBI beforehand. Just a suggestion.

YO uhave registration number. Contact the registered owner and start from there.