MG EV's

Frank

I have looked at a few videos

Seems interesting at under 30k for the estate or the SUV

Although I am struggling to get over the MG name
I know they are a Chinese make now.

There seem to be a few dealers doing them now Linders and Frank Keane

Any driven either any opinions?

This Irish guy does good reviews of electric vehicles, he did one on the MG SUV in December that is worth a watch for some 'local' context - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZSM2GvHQyE

FullyCharged (UK based) also do review videos worth a watch -
MG estate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doo6UWrOaFs
MG SUV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kc3soIPQAg

The estate was released more recently and has been given a slightly larger battery than the SUV, so has better real-world range at 285km (vs. 220 for the SUV). This range is more than enough for lots of people, but worth nothing that it's a fair bit behind the range you'd get in the likes of the Hyundai Kona, Kia eNiro etc. which will do closer to 400km real-world range.

Last edited:
12 k difference too though compared to the Niro and Kona so maybe

Price is a lot closer to the leaf and more practical that I can see.

Nice to see an Irish review in fairness thanks.

I have been looking at bit more over the weekend

It looks like one could get a 2020 ZS from NI for closer to 22k euro
As far as I can see there is 0 VRT and no import as it is NI

a 5k saving over the cheapest in dublin.

Am I missing something

No VAT/import duty should be due on the car importing it from NI, and the €5000 VRT grant available for EVs will cover any VRT that would be due. Having brought in three EVs pre-Brexit it all worked pretty seamlessly and as you there are more and cheaper options available in UK/NI.

Not sure if you’ve thought about a hole charger, but to receive the €600 grant you have to spend the money after you have approval for the grant. You can apply online once you have some details for the car and approval only takes a couple of days.

You also need to tell your toll tag provider your new car is an EV, they’ll then apply a discount of 50-70% on most tolls.

thanks

Looks more interesting.

I have looked at home chargers alright looks like some of hem are a neat enough job.
I have off street parking so have a good spot that should be ok to get a cable to from the fuse board

One question zenith whats the cheapest easiest way to do the money paying for a car in pounds?

No VAT/import duty should be due on the car importing it from NI, and the €5000 VRT grant available for EVs will cover any VRT that would be due.
I have been following this thread with interest. May I ask if the €5k grant is available if you import a used EV from the UK?

I have been following this thread with interest. May I ask if the €5k grant is available if you import a used EV from the UK?
Just to be clear there are two "grants" available for the purchase of an EV. There's a €5k grant available from the SEAI, this only applies to new EVs bought in Ireland. Then there is €5k VRT relief provided by Revenue, this is available to both new EVs and imported used EVs. Note there are some T&Cs around the value of the EV etc, but nothing to worry about for the likes of the MG or other mid-priced EVs.

Last edited:
interesting the difference on such a new car.

4 to 5 k and I am guessing the garage in NI is still making a profit,

One question zenith whats the cheapest easiest way to do the money paying for a car in pounds?
I think there are some other threads knocking around AAM on that topic. In my case I paid with credit cards once and then bank transfers for the other two. I’m sure there are cheaper ways to get Sterling, but you may be limited by the seller, not many garages will entertain Bitcoin or Revolut transfers I suspect :)

electric cars in naas hace a 202 zs for just under 23k, going to have a look once I can go more than 5k from hone.

Never even seen one close up so want to have a proper look and drive,
Could work well with the mazda for long runs

Sat in the seat and it felt narrow to me and the wife.

I know that is down to the width of me broad shoulder and other parts

Feels small compared to our CX5

Back