Metro North?

kerbs

Hi there
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the proposed Metro North and what routes it will be following? The rpa site now states that they are considering a combination of the east and central routes with a new station at Griffith Avenue?? Does anyone know if this is instead of going with the central route which was originally planned?? Is this now the only option on the table or is it being considered along with the other routes??
PS my vote is for Central only Guess where I live???

I think the the RPA would like the east route as fare as drumcondra, then up towards DCU. This means that the metro would connect with the dart when the Maynooth Line is upgraded at Drumcondra (Maynooth - Bray) and also Stephens Green (Balbriggan/Howth - Hazelhatch) when Interconnector is built.

The RPA said they wanted to avoid tunnelling under houses if at all possible, which is why the three routes largely followed the existing main roads north out of the city.
Because serving Ballymun seemed a given, this meant the central line was the obvious choice. However, somebody, not mentioning any Berties, has obviously decided Drumcondra is important...
The new combination route follows the East route out of the city centre.
Going north under the Drumcondra Road, it would also serve Croke Park (almost).
Instead of coming out at Whitehall on stilts, it would continue under Griffith Avenue, emerging at the Ballymun Road, serving DCU. It would then go on as per the rest of the Central route through Ballymun to the Airport and Swords.
It's hard to know whether the alternative combination route is new thinking from the RPA or paying lip service to the public submissions. .

Drew said:
However, somebody, not mentioning any Berties, has obviously decided Drumcondra is important...
The new combination route follows the East route out of the city centre.
Going north under the Drumcondra Road, it would also serve Croke Park (almost).

Following some of the debate over on boards.ie transport forum it seems Platform 11 and other interested parties are also lobbying for Drumcondra as it would allow for interchange with the DART as jdwex as said.

There has been considerable debate over there about this and on whether the RPA and CIE seem likely to get their respective acts together and coordinate this.

Given that this is Berties heartland I'm surprised they are even bothering with rational transport policy related arguments and don't just appeal to his political instincts (which would presumably coincide with what appears on the face of it to be a sensible outcome from a transport policy point of view).

I read in the last week or so that the public consultation has finished and they were surprized with the response, so much so that they have put forward another line for consideration, which is an amalgamation of two of the routes. They will make a definate decision by the end of the month, which as we all know means before Christmas! Swords badly needs this metro.

Yes- I thought I'd posted a map of amalgamated route
Here it is anyway
[broken link removed]

The reason for going through Drumcondra as others have said is to integrate with the DART. It is believed that this is the strongly preferred route for the RPA. They were talking about this alternative route at the public meetings, even way before they officially announced it and they then got very positive feedback about it, so now they are officially publishing it. Now that there is going to be a Dublin Transport Authority that will run DART, Metro, LUAS, and Bus this route is pretty much guaranteed as it integrates with DART, the stated goal of the DTA will be integration of all transport modes. Really it makes very good sense and most transport watchers and commentators are delighted with this news.

Metro North, Central Line?

Hi was wondering has anyone any info they picked up some how confirming or otherwise that the Central Route is the one that will be picked.

The IKEA planning was granted Weds and the Govt cited the Metros as a reason why this exceptional development could go along this route.

To me a Metro past DCU up Ballymun road, through the large median which exisits all the way from Mobhi Road to the M50 exit seems quite logical.

The other routes would require extensive CPO as they are industrial and resedential and certainly the East route would require the areas just recovering from the Port Tunnel to go through another few years of hurt.
Also the route would come in the back way towrds the airport reducing impact to the N1 and main vehicular entrance at the front entrance during build.

The central route was preferred by the RPA from the out set with also an idea that the East route could run to Drumcondra then cut across Whitworth road to sevice DCU and on North along the Ballymun road, thus a Hybrid of the 2.

The CR is also the chepaest to build so are there any other factors stronger than what I have listed that may stregthen a case for the East Route or unlikely West Route?

The reason for going through Drumcondra as others have said is to integrate with the DART..

I don't understand

Do you mean the Arrow or are there plans for extending the DART westward that I haven't heard about ?

Eventually the Maynooth line will be electrified, i.e. a DART line, similar to that proposed for Balbriggan.

East route thro' Drumcondra cutting across whitwoirth Ave to |Ballymn Rd DCU seems the best option.

Central route is cheaper and easier to build for many reasoons.

Do you mean the Arrow or are there plans for extending the DART westward that I haven't heard about ?

Apparently the DART from Bray will go to Maynooth instead of Howth. It will
be necessary to make a change to get to Howth.

I thought a decision was supposed to have been made by now alright. It's pretty sloppy that even the original decision is delayed. That sends a great message. Not a good start......

The metro - which route

RTE says it been anounced but doesn't say which route - anyone know? Expected that it would be the central route but am very interested to get some confirmation.

Roy

From http://www.transport.ie (www.transport.ie) (excerpt) today

Using underground, surface and elevated tracks, Metro North will operate from St Stephens Green, via Dublin Airport, to the north of Swords in the vicinity of Lissenhall. An estimated 34 million passengers a year will travel on this service, with trains every four minutes, increasing to every 90 seconds as the demand builds. The journey time from St Stephens Green to Dublin Airport will be 17 minutes.

Metro North will have 15 stops available for passengers who want to make the journey from the city centre to the airport and beyond. These will be located at St Stephens Green, OConnell Bridge, Parnell Square (possible stop), Mater Hospital, Drumcondra, Griffith Avenue, Dublin City University, Ballymun, Santry Demense, Metropark, Dublin Airport, Nevinstown, Swords, Seatown and Lissenhall.

No access for non subscription plebs like me I'm afraid.

Update:
Ah - here maybe?

[broken link removed]

For non - Ireland.com subscribers - no choice but to cut and paste

A route for Dublin's proposed metro that will run from the city centre north of the airport, has been announced by the Minister for Transport.

Metro North will span 17 kilometres, and Mr Cullen today said a route taking in both Ballymun and Drumcondra has been decided upon. The final route chosen is a combination of two of the three proposed routes.

The "alternative route" was chosen above the western route, via Broadstone and Finglas, and instead combines the central route, which proposed to stop in Glasnevin and Ballymun and the east route, which would have taken in Drumcondra and Santry but not Ballymun.

There will be 15 stops at St Stephen's Green, O'Connell Bridge, Parnell Square (possible stop), Mater Hospital, Drumcondra, Griffith Avenue, Dublin City University, Ballymun, Santry Demense, Metropark, Dublin airport, Nevinstown, Swords, Seatown and Lissenhall. A journey from the city centre to the airport is expected to take 17 minutes.

The project is expected to be finished in 2012 and will use underground, surface and elevated tracks. An estimated 34 million passengers a year will travel on the service, with trains every four minutes, increasing to every 90 seconds as the demand builds, according to Martin Cullen.

Speaking this morning, Mr Cullen said: "Metro North is not just an airport link. It is an important commuter link for the communities and the institutions of north Dublin city and county."

The next step in the Metro project will involve work on the design of the route and stations and the preparation of a Railway Order application by the Railway Procurement Agency.