Metro for 1.2bn

ontour

Moderators, can't find a duplicate...but am surprised so just tell me if my searching skills are useless !!

I read in the [broken link removed]yesterday that the current estimate for building the metro is 1.2bn. Now from recollection this is the figure that the Port tunnel is nearly running at now. The metro is planned to go underground from Stephen's Green to DCU and overground to Swords with a short foray back underground at the airport.

Considering that it has the cost of stations and it is much longer, is the figure of 1.2bn not ridiculously underestimated.

Considering the Port tunnel is running at 3-4 times its original budget, have we learnt nothing from this.

Am I missing something...maybe some of the AAM engineering fraternity can speculate how such a project could be delivered for 1.2bn

Am I missing something...maybe some of the AAM engineering fraternity can speculate how such a project could be delivered for 1.2bn

To be fair, there is a very good transport forum on www.boards.ie that would have far more discussion.

There may be existing dicussion there or on www.platform11.org

I'm not trying to silence discussion here, but I have to say that the other two sites will probably have more focussed discussion on this particular issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Tunnel

Budget figure ia about 752 million. The project is behind schedule, but not over budget. However contractors are looking for another 300 million, but if this not is paid project stays on budget.

An estimate is not a budget-hopefully in the next few weeks we will now exactly what is to be constructed.
I concur with ccovitch about the other boards.