Metal laminate for kitchen?

PetPal

I watched "Selling Houses" the other night and the presenter had suggested that the owners could improve their kitchen by sticking (glueing?) metal laminate sheets onto the kitchen walls (behind the cooking area) rather than tiles. It seems a really good idea - more sanitary, presentable and professional in appearance. Does anybody know (a) where one would buy metal laminate, and would the supplier cut it to size, and (b) whether one could stick it on over tiles that are already there? In addition does anybody know where (or whether) I could get metal worktops? I have surfed but didn't find anything similar in Dublin. Many thanks.

As it happens, I emailed a place recently in relation to having stainless steel splashbacks and upstand made for my new kitchen. This is the reply I received:

"Further to your email of 30th inst. we regret that we do not make stainless steel splashbacks and upstands, however you could contact Larry or Mark at Dublin Steel Pressings Ph:01-4260080 and they may be able to help you with your enquiry."

I haven't followed up on it yet, but you could give them a try, and maybe post on this thread if they're any use? Or if I get to them first I'll update, but I don't think I'll have time in the next few days.

Professional kitchens most often have stainless steel counters so the companies who make them should be able to help... some people say that stainless steel, while great in theory, scratches easily and so doesn't look as good after a while...
A company was listed here previously that did professional kitchens, somewhere in Howth or Malahide I seem to remember... maybe use the search function.

For splashbacks you could use 'diamond plate', this could be got from engineering companies... diamond plate isn't smooth but has a crisscross pattern on it... I just recently saw a kitchen which had this fitted and it looked great.

Cheers
Joe

Back