Messy Plumbing

johneym

hi Folks,

Im moving into a second hadn house which was built in the late 70;s early 80;s. The plumbing is a mess an everyone who lived here added their own little bit resulting in so much pipework that its terrible. There are open pipes running along the middle of the corridor and down the hall at the front door. There are so many radiators and there seems to be loops repeating themeslves all over the place. Had a plubler the other day and all he did was chase the piping in one place, about 4 foot, and lower 1 rad 4 inches. Took about 4-5 hours an charged me 230 euro. Said he would not go near anything else as even he had problems trying to figure out all the pipework. There are 40 different pipes in the hotpress alone. We are still discovering small radiators in overhead closets and the presses and wardrobes, with all related messy pipework.
I intend to pump the house next year but have to get through this winter.
The best thing of course is to re do the whole thing properly but this would cost a fortune and involve ripping up floors etc. At the moment I need to move in with my family. I am not sure what to do with it all. Unless the boiler is running constantly there is no heat at all.

Hate to say it but from a heating perspective, there might be little point in tackling the plumbing unless you tackle the insulation as well, otherwise the heat will just go straight out

As a starting point it might be worth looking at the SEI scheme to see what you could get
[broken link removed]

Back