Messy garden after dogs.

whistler

I own two beautiful large dogs and live on an end corner house in an estate. As much as I love them they have wrecked the back garden (which is a generous size). It's all grass at the moment, or at least used to be!! I have tried to think what would be the best thing to do once the weather gets a bit better.
1, I can pave the whole garden and leave some slabs missing to plant small trees, put out some potted plants etc, or,
2, split the garden in half. Pave one side and leave 'my' side with some grass, barbeque area and so on.
Is grass in the back garden important when selling on again? Also gravel is out of the question as its difficult to clean it up after dogs.
Thanks

I'm almost in the same position as the dog I have while only 14 weeks my garden is mostly grass so I'm getting printed concrete I have a deck area for the BBQ etc.. I think looking at the future with this it will become easier to maintain we're not getting any younger are we?

you could cordon off part of your garden & build a dog run speaking as the owner of 2 large dogs whose garden is a mess too - things improve in the summer when the weather's better

Is grass in the back garden important when selling on again? Also gravel is out of the question as its difficult to clean it up after dogs.
Thanks
I think it's very important to have some grass in the garden - people like to have a green vista. When househunting, "low maintenance garden" always sounded alarm bells for me - made me think "oh no, it's all concreted over, it'll cost a fortune to dig that up." I think option 2, where you pave some and retain some grass, social space, etc is better for conserving value - and if you can get nice paving and some shrubs or trees into the dogs' half, it can still feel like "real garden".

Speak for yourself. I'm getting younger!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I really think your on the right track with this one. Had some guilt over the fact that dogs would not have as much room but at the end of the day they are only dogs and I'm sure they'll be more comfortable anyway if they're not standing in muck all the time (Not to mention a cleaner house when they are let inside).

Had some guilt over the fact that dogs would not have as much room

don't make the run too small & remember to give them extra long walks to make up for any lack of exercise due to them being confined to a smaller area & they'll be grand - remember it's mainly the winter months where gardens suffer & turn to mud due to dogs running around

I live beside a forest so exercise shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: