Message from eBay. Genuine?

Ash

This is the second time I've had this type of email purportedly from eBay. I think I registered for eBay some months back. I don't know for sure as I stopped the registration process when I was asked for my credit card details. I ignored the last similar emial I received.
I've never actually used eBay to put anything up for sale, purchase anything or to bid on any item.
Does anyone recognise this communication? Is it genuine?
It looks dodgy to me.

"eBay sent this message to eBay member.
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
EBAY ACCOUNT PROTECTION

Dear eBay Member
Dear eBay Customer!
You have received this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter.To help speed up this process, please access the following form to complete the verification of your eBay account registration informations:

To update your eBay records on file now click here: RESPOND NOW

Please Note:
If we do not receive the appropriate eBay account verification within 48 hours, then we will assume this eBay account is fraudulent and will be suspended.
The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.
We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.
Thank you for your patience in this matter.
Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.
Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification.

Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Dodgy - ignore.

Many points, but to start with, how would they know the bids were fake if they haven't already confirmed your details ?

z

That looks fake. I've received a few of those recently and I have never used ebay and don't have an account with them.

You can forward it to ebay at the following e-mail spoof@ebay.com
Don't add text or change the subject, just forward it to them and they will let you know if it's fake or not.

I got this exact message before and reported it to EBAY who said it was NOT from them and to ignore it and not to click on the link,

There have been lots of cases recently of fraudsters (like this) "hacking" into people's accounts, then purporting to offer iPods, etc, and requiring payment by Western Union/MoneyGram. eBay usually closes them down fairly quickly, but probably not before a few unsuspecting buyers have been stung, unfortunately.

Phishing e-mails like this are presumably one of the ways they get hold of user's passwords...:(

Back