Merciful hour, de costa stuff!!

mathepac

Coming back from a weekly shop yesterday, it suddenly dawned on me that I'd forgotten to stock up on my favourite summer tipple, sparkling water. As I was passing a local filling station I decided I'd pop in and buy a couple of 2L bottles to tide me over. No 2L bottles to be had, so I settled for 2 x 1.5L from the shelves and proceeded to the checkout.

"That'll be €5 please" sez yer wan.
"What?" sez I, "but I didn't get any fuel."
"I know" she sez, "but it includes the €0.50 refundable deposit", without batting an eyelid.

I wondered why the mini top-up bits of shopping had become so expensive lately, now I know.

My local CENTRA charged me €1.45 including deposit per 2L bottle at the week-end and I know that's expensive but the filling station prices take the biscuit, and all the rest of the groceries too.

Horses for courses.
IMG_40120BD0110E-1.jpeg

I've a soda stream and a Brita filter jug. It's more to reduce the plastic use than save money.

so have I but that's not the point of my post - outrageous price differences for broadly similar products being the point at issue from my POV.

Filling station €2.25 for 1.5L (€1.50/litre)
Centra €1.20 for 2L (€0.60/litre)
Dunnes €3.10 for 6 X 2L (€0.258/litre)

all net of deposit charges.

so have I but that's not the point of my post - outrageous price differences for broadly similar products being the point at issue from my POV.

Filling station €2.25 for 1.5L (€1.50/litre)
Centra €1.20 for 2L (€0.60/litre)
Dunnes €3.10 for 6 X 2L (€0.258/litre)

all net of deposit charges.
That's free market pricing for you.

Back