Mercedes

mickeyg

My 5 year old Mercedes 180 has become very sluggish in the mornings and doesn't respond to the accelerator. Really chugs for a while but then is fine after a half mile or so. Any ideas around what this might be?

Yeah I think a good oil and filter service. Could also be some sensor problem, Airflow something like that.

No specific info I'm afaraid.

Had similiar problem with Golf TDI, problem was Mass Airflow sensor, known issue with VW cars, Cost 120 incl VAT for Diagnostic test and sensor replacement.

Maybe you got a dose of dirty fuel. Maybe the filters need changing.

Had the Airflow Mass Meter go on my 2000 VW Golf but the symptoms were a little different. It wouldn't accelerate beyond 80km/h and could become very sluggish if forced. Replaced it and all was fine for a bit but then the problem returned. Looked it up on a US VW owners-club website and it transpired that a similar problem can occur if the wiring loom has been messed about with. Apparently this can commonly occur if, for example, the car has been used for towing and an extra circuit has been added for the trailer lights. The site advised looking at the wiring behind the rear lights. I did this and discovered a modification (my car was formerly a German driving school vehicle and the 'add-on' was for the drinving school light on the roof) which I removed and no problems since. That was 3 years ago.

It seems that the ECU, in such instances, detects a 'fault' in the electrics and switchs over to 'limp-home-mode'.

This appears to be a more common fault with the Bosch AFMM.

Has your car been used for towing, e.g a caravan and is the AFMM a Bosch?